Starting over with corycats and betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChaoticMaso

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2013
I started a whole new tank a 10 gallon. With new everything. The pet store gave me crappy products and bad advice, I have pretty much spent close to 1k trying to fix these errors. The new tank is very much better than the before tank. I am still unsure if it is okay for fish though.

I use a glass top for the new fish tank and it gets pretty foggy with a lot of condensation, so the water evaporates at a fast pace. When I do water changes 20% it gets foamy the first day after change, is that bad? Alkaline is high because of my water supply, can't change much. The water is a little bit cloudy and I was told micro creatures that fish eat is causing this. No I am very past the blooming stage and it is very mildly cloudy you can still see clear through the other side and everything inside. This started after 3 months of it been running. You can't see it at all with the light on.

Should I completely remove the cartridge bag and put a new one in or can I wash it off and keep it? I saw a tank owner do this with the tetra whisper. I also use a version of the tetra filter and when I opened the disposable bag packet the black rock thingies fell all over the floor and it was just raw cotton(like it was made cheaper) not at all the same bag I am using in the tank now. So I kept the old one and rinsed it very well. Should I also clean the bacteria foam pad maybe even 1 each 3 months? I have not done anything with it but the bacteria goo can clog the foam grid some which makes the filter water rise a bit in the filter. It's not over flooding.

I have 2 cory cats, 1 pepper, 1 albino(they never told me albino are blind). I found that out when albino kept bumping into the décor and other fish in tank. The pet store said that was okay to have bottom feeders in the same tank with my Betta but it just doesn't feel right plus Betta does not like pepper. He used to push him around but now he just occasionally looks at him then goes back to his hiding spot. Betta also does not make bubble nest like he used to in the 1 gallon tank since I moved him to a 10 gallon. Everyone said the bigger the space the better so I did. He's just not the same. Then later I was told cory cats should be in packs of the same (6). So should I keep the cory cats or send them back to the store? They only had one of each left to begin with so I will never have a pack.

Pepper also has like a white film on his sides. Not spots or anything, like a coating, he is still in the bad tank so I don't know when I start moving him will he be okay then. Can I use aquarium salt to cure it or do I need real meds? I only have Betta moved to quarantine to move him first to the new tank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The old tank was very bad only 2 days in and the water turned brown and eventually blood red. It would still be color coded after the blooming stage but at least clear. The store gave me a prime for a 55 gallon tank when I only had a 10 gallon tank makes no sense. Prime smelled like booty, but I thought fresh fish stores smell like booty so it must be right. Nope. It was icky after a while.....

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Do you have parameters? Temperature, pH, and the most important trio, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings from a liquid test kit? Strips are less accurate.

Improper dosing of Prime could be problematic. Basically, 1 drop per gallon, or 1 milliliter per 10 gallons is sufficient for dechlorination. How long has the tank been set up?

It's possible that your albino cory is blind, but frankly, cories often ignore things, and bump into things all the time. Yes, they do better in schools of 6 or more of the same kind. If you wanted to rehome one, I'd rehome the albino, because not all albino cories of the same species, so it's easier to spot more peppered cories at a store.

Rinsing the filter media in discarded tank water is fine; the charcoal isn't really always necessary. Photos would help in diagnosing what the cloudiness is.

Stocking other fish with bettas depends almost entirely on the personality of that betta, in most cases. The majority of the time, bettas ignore cories.

What exactly is wrong with the bad tank?

ChaoticMaso

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2013
I have the drop to check PH and the chart. I dosed the prime accurately, yes and it was still bad. I had it set up for 8 months rechecking everything. Did not work. I've had fish die in the bad tank, and then after months later it started to become very slimy in the tank with excessive oily layer on the surface. You could see the oil layer and the fish required more oxygen. That the bottom feeders stayed near the surface. Is that suppose to happen with prime?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
the oil you see is from fish food. its like a protein slim, it is harmless and if you would like to remove it, just add more surface movement. as for your betta not making a nest, you can try to slow your current down, and adding more plant cover in the corners. prams would be nice

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I've been using Prime for years. I've never had any experience remotely similar to you describe. Sounds like there are other issues. What are the results of the following measurable parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, pH?

Is the stocking just the betta and 2 cories?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Chaotic- You're all over the map here. Like authmal asked, what are your tank's water parameters in ppm for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Without a handle on those, you're flying blind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store