Visi-Therm heaters still any good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
My 100 watt Visitherm that has been running for at least seven years died sometime in the past week... Been so busy I didn't catch it when it failed, but at least it was 80 degrees in the house most of the week.

I always keep a spare, so I now have my spare Visi-therm 100w in the tank...

However, I went out to Amazon, and marinland's site to see what models they now had and I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on the visitherms... When I bought mine, they were one of the more recommended and respected heaters out there...

So... Are they still great heaters or have most of you started leaning towards another brand/model series? Thank you!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've a few of them, no issues not sure when they began, my newest one is probably 18 months old.

I got 2 Cobolt neo therm's recently they're quite nice but the price of 3 visitherm's.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I switched all mine out.
when stealth heaters were recalled they replaced some of mine with visitherm (which use to be as reliable as the stealth)
the new ones were, at best, inconsitent with several failing after a few months...
I switched mine to ebo-jaeger and have been pleased.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Aqueon heaters are the same as the original Visitherms. When Marineland moved them from Italy to China, Aqueon was then able to buy them from the original Italian factory.

Aqueon Pro heaters are actually the same as the original Stealths (but with an LED) before Marineland moved the Stealths to China also.

Andy

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I have used many brands over the years in my aquarium maintenance business.
Personally I have always found, even when reviews were better, the Visitherm to be over rated. While I had some that worked quite well, many were very inaccurate.

Generally speaking I have mostly used these three of late:
*The Ebo Jager
*The Hagen Tronic
*The Via Aqua

The Via Aqua wins for me when value & return policy when a rare defect is found

I agree with this article as per my only complaint with the Ebo Jager:
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/01/aquarium-heaters-preset-vs-non-preset.html

That is my distributor has me send the Ebo directly in for warranty replacement rather than simply exchanging for a working product as with the Via Aqua or Hagen.

I recommend reading the above article, as I find it quite accurate to my experiences too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store