Thoughts on this idea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I am headed to the pet store tomorrow and I am very tempted to switch my betta boy and girl and start a sorority. That would give my male only a 2 gallon but it would be all his and temporary Everyone is getting upgraded in June, and my females would have a 20 tall to share with Julii cories, Shrimp, and snails, I have a 35 gallon sponge. Do you think it would be ok? Or should I just leave things as they are?

Its a planted 20 tall but I would need to spread the plants out a bit more and I have hides.

My thoughts are the bettas will use all the tank
the corydoras will use the bottom
The snails use the glass mostly
and the shrimp all pretty much hang on the sponge.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I was hoping it would be fine, and also make life easier on my boy, He has such huge fins and Doesn't understand coming to the top to feed.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I was hoping it would be fine, and also make life easier on my boy, He has such huge fins and Doesn't understand coming to the top to feed.
I've never had one that didn't perfectly adapt to it's surroundings. They become very strong swimmers given the room and water flow.

Your 20g female betta, cory and shrimp setup sounds nice, except lady bettas will most likely pick-off your shrimp one by one. I can't even keep snails in my 55 w/ bettas. They're constantly nosing around and pick at the snails as well. They're like little cats burying themselves into plants/decor, prowling around and are the first to be nosy and right in your face.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have mystery snails and I am hoping to get females who will just leave them alone. if not I can rearrange. My shrimp are not exactly working out ... They won't even breed and cherrys are known for being worse than rabbits.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Mystery snails are what I tried with my bettas. They pick at and bite off the snail's tentacles. They cant get out and about and will die within weeks.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
not all bettas do that and if I notice it happening I can always move the snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store