Making fish magically appear

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EdNerd

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2013
Hi, y'all!! My first thread here. (Posted before on the Google Groups Freshwater Aqaurium group, but I guess that's defunct now.) I used to have a 20-gal aquarium with a few platys. Made all of the newbie mistakes and killed most of them. Scaled back to a 10-gal with a betta, which worked out a lot better. Eventually, the betta also died. What I really wanted was a nice large planted tank with a variety of aquatic spieces all living together, but that was too far beyond my finances to set up. So we just shelved the aquarium and repurposed the stand. But I miss having fish.

That was a few years ago. I am also a magician, doing birthday aprties and small parlor/stage shows. I'd like to perform the magic trick of making a bowl of water and fish appear on my table on stage. I can get the bowl and the water to comply with no problem. But I would really enjoy it more if the fish survived the experience too! Right now, it's all in the imagination stage - I do not currently have any fish. (But a nice excuse to get back into an aquarium!) I can manipulate any of the non-living elements as needed, but I'd like some input on the fish if you would be so kind.

Here's what I have in mind:
-- First, I live in the southwest corner of Arizona, USA, about 10 miles from the Mexican border. Translation: it gets hot here. I'd transport the fish inside an air-conditioned vehicle. Even so, interior temps could be in the 80s (F) range for a half-hour or so. Not to mention a certain amount of jostling. I can cover the transport tank/bowl to prevent direct sunlight, but that could also trap hot air underneath, so I gotta be careful here.
-- Before and during the show, the fish would be inside a plastic bowl with a snap-on lid. I'm currently looking at these because they're a decent manageable size - and cheap! Internal capacity is 13 cups / 3 liters. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091255 So if I've got the lid on to prevent spillage while moving stuff around up to the final "taa daa!", there's no fresh air. I do not anticipate this being more than one hour, but I'd plan for two as a safety factor for the fish. So I probably can't fill the bowl to the brim with no air pocket, correct? But I also can't add more water just before we go on, so that could impact the amount of water the fish have while waiting.
-- I plan on keeping the fish at home in a 10-gal tank with a 20-gal BioWheel filter. It's also possible the mom and dad will think a magical fish is a great present for Junior, so after I make them appear he gets to choose one to keep. Which probably means a bowl with a handful of clown gravel in the bottom. This would be a great way to offset some of my expenses, but it could be very "expensive" for the fish! If I can't get the right fish, then that part goes away and the parents just get told that these need special treatment because they're highly pedigreed and trained.

Ideally, I'd love to present a bowl full of water with three nice colorful fish about three fingers big. Obviously, starting with the right fish is a big factor here. And then caring for them properly so they can handle the rigors of being travelling performers. And then handling them well from the time they leave their tank until they return back.

I'd love to hear your inputs. Thanks for listening!

Ed

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Warmer water depletes oxygen quickly, as i saw with the 88* temps that killed my salt tank. Is there an option for you to use buckets with lid w/holes in it and airstone? You could always put cold water underneath the bucket, in another bucket, and try to stabilize temperatures that way. If that makes sense.

EDIT: I used to live in Parker, AZ, and screw those 120+* constant temperatures haha.

EdNerd

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2013
I could transport the fish in a 5-gal bucket with only 2-gal water in it. Plenty of sloshing room. And inside a styrofoam cooler base with ice packs around. That's definitely do-able for the stars of the show!

To go inside the venue, though, they will have to be in the lidded bowl that's in the "secret compartment". Can't let them be seen, and can't take a chance on spilling water. And they could stay there as long as 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Indoors only -- no way I'm taking fish or me outside in that summer sun!

Ed

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
The frequent transport is likely to put a lot of chronic stress on a fish which lead to weakened immune systems and mortality. Would also fade out fish's coloration. The only fish that I can think of that might survive what you described would be a Betta or puddle dwelling killifish. Neither of which is three fingers long, and multiple males, especially of bettas, will probably kill each other.

I don't think it's ethical to hand out fish as prizes to junior. They become "throw away pets". And quickly succumb.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

EdNerd

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2013
That's where I was thinking I needed to start -- what fish could handle this? I was wondering if some kind of pond dweller might be more resilient to oxygen levels and "turbulance", while being big enough? What about one male and a few female bettas?

Agree with the "throw away" fish idea as distasteful to say the least! That's why I'm concerned about getting a fish that can handle this - or not doing this at all. If I didn't care, I'd just go to the bait shop and grab a handful of 15 cent "feeders", then toss 'em in the river (where they'd wind up anyway) when I'm done.

This is just an idea - if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I know there's battery-operated fish toys that I could use, but there's nothing like the real thing. Even with all the extra care that goes with them.

Ed

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Not sure about the logistics of oxygen and temps, etc. But what about gold fish? You could grow out common gold fish that they sell as feeder fish... At least this way if your experiment doesn't work out and proves to be too hard on the fish, at least they got a better life than being fed to an Oscar... They aren't that flashy or exotic, and being a cold water fish, it might not do well at temps over 85*F?

At any rate, I would think, having an air stone in the transportation tank/bucket would help give you be necessary to make sure the water in the "magic bowl" is as oxygenated as possible.

If you have a decently large tank at home, you'd need more than a 10 gallon, but with a large enough, or several tanks, you could grow out a number of fish and rotate them. So say, you have 3 tanks with 3 fish each. Take 3 fish from tank1 to todays show, then the three from tank2 to next weeks show, etc. That way they have at least a month off so they don't get too stressed.

EdNerd

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2013
At the moment, I only have the one 10-gal tank. Goldfish would work, but not at the initial "feeder" size -- too hard to see in a bowl from 40 feet away.

Can I power an air stone from a 12-volt outlet inside a vehicle while I transport? Is there a tablet or something I can drop in the water to instead to help out?

I know they keep bettas in those little bowls with the blue water that they never change and the fish seem to do okay. Is something like that available for at least a short-term use?

As far as temps, the fish would be with me at all times, and *I* don't much like temps over 85 degrees!! Or under 60, either, for that matter. The biggest heat factor would be sunlight through the car windows, and I can shade the transport bucket.

Ed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store