Reading Mixed responses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have a betta male in a small 2 gallon by himself and in the summer I will have a 20 tall opening up, I would like to put him and an angelfish in it together however I keep reading mixed responses on if this is ok or not. My male betta seems quite relaxed in a community tank.

I do not want to get over 4 tanks and I know the betta male can not go in my sorority.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Generally, bad mix.

either the Angel will atack the Betta or the opposite. If I were a betting man I'd put money on the Angel. I'm guessing it's P.Scalare.

that said..the mix can work if the fish are peaceful. Angels are cichlids and with that comes the uncertainty of how they mix with other fish.
if you do decide to try the mix.. I'd keep a very watchful eye out as it can go bad very quickly.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I think I will just divide my 20 long sorority tank and let him have a section of that :) Give a long Angelfish the 20 tall

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
That sounds like a better set up for him. They usually enjoy shallow, long tanks to tall tanks. The ridiculous fins they've been bred to have and all and being labyrinth lunged breathers needing to get to the surface often.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A 20g, be it long or high isn't nearly big enough for an angle anyway IMO. They can grow saucer sized. My koi angel was the last fish introduced to my 55 that contains female bettas. No issues thus far. The koi is very mellow. Pretty much just watches (and follows) for my wife and I all day.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
well the 20 tall will be a grow out tank for the angel :) I have been told a 29 is fine for one once its older.

And yeah my male luckily doesn't jump but I will make sure the divider is secure :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store