Christmas List

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pmsmith2032

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2011
I am trying to set-up a new 55 gallon tank for African Cichlids (first time) and need some advice on what to put on my Christmas list. Here is what I already have:

- Standard 55 gallon tank
- Store bought wood stand (I believe it is made out of press board)
- Plastic flourscent strip light (it has two bulbs if I remember correctly......end to end) - Like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3803
- Two glass canopies (one cracked)
- Marineland Stealth Pro Heater - I believe it has been recalled
- Aqua Tech 30-60 filter (330 gph)
- Tons of rocks
All items were bought used on craigslist a couple of years ago.

Here are some items I think I might need:

- More filtration - Hagen AquaClear Power Filter - Probably a 70 (300 gph) but 110 (500 gph) if needed.
- New heater
- Probably some kind of upgrade/modification to lighting and cover
- Some sort of gravel cleaner/water changer
- Some sort of chemical kit to balance water chemistry
- Food and other additives

I am trying to keep costs low and keep maintenance down as much as possible. Right now I am thinking it will be a Pseudotropheus Saulosi (I like the blue/yellow contrast) but I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a nice setup. 55's are great. Adding an AquaClear 70 wouldn't be a bad idea. I like the idea of two smaller HOB's over one big one.

A water parameter test kit is a must for setting up a new tank and to have later on for periodic checks. API Master Test Kits are easy to source and not too crazy expensive.

How do you intend to establish a nitrogen cycle in this tank? Getting some healthy used bio filter media or used gravel/decor is the easiest.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
"African Cichlids" encompasses a vast range of species...you need to narrow it down a bit before reliable advice on specifics can be given.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
also depends is this going to be a planted tank or not.

if planted tank your probably going to want to get a better lighting system at least to be able to bring you up to medium lighting then possibly one of them inexpensive CO2 systems or carbon supplements.

pmsmith2032

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2011
Thanks! It is definitely not going to be planted (cichlids are notorious for digging up plants). Right now I am leaning towards a Pseudotropeus Saulosi single species tank but I am open to suggestions.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Other suggestions are perhaps going witha canister filter rather than the HOB. An Eheim 2213 or 2215. And Aeration..although if you stick with the HOB the return should do it for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store