Two dumb testing kit questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
First off, I can't read the GH results, even in good light held up to a white background. The orange to green just looks like orange to yellow. I can't tell when the yellow is supposed to qualify as green. 10 drops of the reagent in and it still looks yellow. I know I don't have super hard water.

Secondly, am I supposed to count the first drop it takes to turn the clear water to the starting out color? Or start counting after that first drop?

I have the API tests. All are just a couple of years old, still good. Thanks.

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I would look down into the TT for color and it should have greenish tint to it. Also you count every drop that goes into the TT to get the color.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I have the same problem reading that test and so does my non color vision afflicted wife.
You might want to get on your local water purveyor's website and get an idea of just how hard your tap water is. It just may require more than 10 drops to get that color to change.

cheezgr8r

Registered Member
Jun 18, 2014
keep going, I had the same problem. my water was just ridiculously hard. 15 drops for kh, 44 gh. unless im doing it wrong the first drop or two will give it the initial color. after that it will be apparent when it changes. just keep adding

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I gave up trying decipher the colors with that gh test kit. Now I just occasionaly test for kh and also for tds with a handy little battery operated meter.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I use the API GH test, and the colour change from orange to green is very noticeable and defined. My former API kit was not, and I suspect it was due to the regents that may have been weak from age or manufacture, whatever.

I also find the colour is easiest to determine when viewed from above, down into the tube. Stand the tube on a white sheet of paper and the colour change will be very apparent, or should be.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store