Neon Tetra Parasite/White Spots !!! Help please!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimsivan

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2013
Hello everyone ,

I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium which had 8 pairs of Neon Tetra and 2 Pairs of Ember tetra . They were all doing fine for almost 3 months . Recently, about a week ago a friend of mine gave me 2 pairs of his neon tetra and i added them to my tank . The next day i noticed that the newly added tetras had white spots on their tail,fins & body and were acting wierd. I just left them in the tank along with my old fish and a couple of days later my ember tertas developed the white spots and died . Since then i have lost almost 12 tetras . I quickly quarantined the tetra that had white spots and thoroughly examined the rest of the fish and they did not seem to have any spots on them.

Now a few tetras have developed the spots again . I really dont know what to do :-(

Have these parasites contaminated my tank ? If so how do i go about adding new fish ?

I plan to add in new fish bit im quite worried that they will also be affected by the parasites..should i drain the water completely??

Please suggest what needs to be done so that i can safely add in new fish..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are the spots somewhat granular like grains of salt? Can you get pics? Very much likely it is ich.

kimsivan

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for your reply Rbishop :) Yes they are granular like salt/small air bubbles stuck to the fish and look exactly line the tetra in the image. How should i get rid of them and how can i safely add new fish?

white-spot-disease.jpg

white-spot-disease.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks like ich to me....standard cure for most people is the heat and salt method.

Slowly over a few hours, raise the temperature to 80-82F...this will speed up the life cycle of the ich.

Dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of common table salt for each gallon you are treating in some hot tank water. Let it cool to tank temperature. Add a fourth of the mixture, every 3-4 hours watching for the fish reactions. Maintain this salt concentration for 7-10 days after all visible signs are gone. If you do a water change during this time frame, make sure the water you add back is at the same concentration.

Ich usually gets worse before it gets better. Do some searches on here for facts about it or on google to learn more.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
When ever you get new fish, they should be QT'd first and observed for 3-4 weeks. This way, you don't risk infecting your main tank. A QT can be made with a simple Rubbermaid container.

kimsivan

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for your help everyone . I got rid of the disease and my fish are **** happy now. Just used the saltwater bath as suggested , repeated the same over a week and ... bingo... the ick has disappeared.. Thanks again:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store