Tear Down Sterelization?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Thriller

AC Members
Dec 15, 2013
Hey guys

This is my first post here. I've been in the hobby since 09 and have learned a huge deal and spent perhaps too much money in the process. I recently had an outbreak of algae which I call brown fur (not bba) as I can't remember the actual scientific name for it. Thankfully I found the root causes of the algae and while I have a handle on it I've decided to teardown the tank and start again. However, having never done a tear down and clean of the gravel (eco complete) I'm not exactly sure. Should I use a chemical to treat the gravel and glass? If so, which. How would you advise a deep clean/sterelization of tank and gravel for those that have been through/have some experience with this sort of thing I'm eager to hear from you.

Thriller

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Drain the tank, take out everything but the gravel, re-fill with water and 1/2 cup bleach per 10gal and stir up the gravel. Let it stand for 2-4 hours, drain, place gravel in calander and rinse, use sink sprayer to spray out tank. Allow all to air dry. I'm not fimiliar with Ec-Complete so you may want to look into it if it is not just gravel. If I were you, I'd just buy new substrate. You can take some filter media and place it in the new substrate and excellerate the cycling process.

Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store