Cichlids for small tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
This summer all my fish are getting upgrades since I finally get to pull my 40 long out of storage. This will open up either my 10 or 20 gallon .. Not sure who is going where yet.

Now I am a huge Oscar fan ... so much spunk but obviously they can not happily live in a 10 or 20 ... Now before you say the 40 would be a better option for cichlids ... I got two goldfish dumped on me and they really need that tank.

Are there any cichlids I can keep in a 10 or 20? I only want one fish ... With big personally and preferably aggressive. Also my friend has live bearers so I can get them from a safe source so anything that I could treat with a couple fry a month would be great.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
There are not a lot of "cichlids' to choose from for a 10/20 .
you would be looking for the 'dwarf' cichlid of some sort.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I just want something fiesty and that will be happy in such a small tank ... Thought this board would be a good place to start :)

Bolivians are pretty and it says they will be happy in a 20 gallon ... But that was just brief looking at small cichlids.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Does it have to be a cichlid? If not then you could try dwarf puffers or other puffers. Very spunky, mean, loads of personality, and smart.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
It has to be something I can get my hands on ... I got mixed up and I am glad I figured it out before I got anything ... I thought our stores carried dwarfs but they are green spots lol.

It has to be something with personality and aggressive.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Apistograma Panduro... tons of attitude in a small package

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
are those easy to get? i have never seen them here ... I would like to go out with a list of several just in case I can not find one :)

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
A little limited for tank size..Red jewels are aggressive,but the twenty is really a minimum. Probably Kribensis, or rams. Not as ruthless, maybe, but big personality. I think 20 gallons is too small for Firemouths, too. Many pretty kribs..Molowie and others. I have a few big black angelfish that are downright mean..they live alone.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I love firemouths ... We had them when I was younger ... I do like german rams and I know I can get them.

Ok .. taking away the need for aggression ... I want something super spunky and fun to watch ... And I love color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store