Considering a mixed media substrate in Planted Tank with Clown Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
I will be relocating my four 3" Clown Loach from a 37 gallon 'low tech' tank to a 65 Gallon 'low tech' tank. Yes, I know I'm going to hear that a 65 gallon is still too small for Clown Loach, but it's the largest tank I could get my wife to agree with. Anyway, so far I've been lucky; having no major issues keeping the Clown Loach with plants, except for Rubin Swords. So what I'm considering is using 2"-2 1/2" of Flourite regular for 65% of my substrate (for the planted area) and pool filter sand for the remaining 35%. I will be looking into ways to contain the sand, keeping it from mixing with the flourite gravel. Has anyone had any experience with using the two substrates in the same tank? I definitely want to maintain a natural look (no black or colored gravel or sand). I've been doing 25% water changes every 5 days with the smaller tank because of the bio load, but plan to cut back to every 10 days once I get the fish in the larger tank. I will be running two large filters a 110 AquaClear and a 2217 Eheim Filter. Do you need to be careful about sand particles getting into the filters, causing abrasion to the impellers? Typically I rinse the filter media on HOB filter every week (with tank water) and change the filter every other week. I only rinse the Canister media out every 4 months and replace every other time. I'm not too concerned about the canister filter because the impeller motor is after the stages of media, but the HOB filter has the opposite staging. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If your filter intakes are low,~3 inches above the sand, ime you may have issues. I wrecked my impeller on an AC 70 with pool sand. You can put a prefilter sponge or raise the intake(s). As for mixing substrates, I never had good luck the couple times I tried. Do you plan on a barrier +/or are you a substrate vacuumer like me? It may just be a matter of time before they mix, how much do you care?

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
My 65 gallon tank is 25" deep and the intake will be at least 6" from the bottom. Yes, I plan to use a barrier of some sort between the two substrates, but not sure what yet. I have not and probably will not vacuum my substrate. I suspect the Clown Loach will do their fair share of mixing substrate for me, however I've found they do not dig into the flourite gravel.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You'd need some type of screen or membrane between the two substrates to prevent the smaller particle size from making it's way to the bottom, which it will over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store