Filter bacteria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As a guess, most people say it takes weeks for a new bio media to become seeded when being used in a healthy, established tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you better describe what you mean by " how long it takes a filter to be colonized if you seed it?"

Do you mean running the filter on an established tank or putting some established media in a new filter on another tank?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Can you better describe what you mean by " how long it takes a filter to be colonized if you seed it?"

Do you mean running the filter on an established tank or putting some established media in a new filter on another tank?
I think the OP means if you seed the filter with media from an established tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Taking a piece of active, live colonized filtration media and adding it to a filter with uncolonized media.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think there are too many variables to give a reasonable exact time frame. The bacteria on the media you bring over is just a portion of the bacteria there for the bio load that tank has. You would probably do best to be conservative, leaving the borrowed media in the new tank/filter for at least a month and it will grow to suit the bio load there. In the old tank, replace the missing media when you can or with media from the new filter if they are compatible.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Bacteria are capable of multiplying in hours.
that said there are several variables to take into consideration. temp, bioload tank size etc.

I have actually squeezed/rinsed existing media in a new tank and had petty much an instant cycle. but if you do this it is important to check the parameters several times per day.

easiest to actually move some media from an established tank into the filter of the new tank and leave it there. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store