Aqueon filter sale at DrsFosterandSmith..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I just ordered an Aqueon 50 for $19.99. They're $32+ at my local stores, plus I've got a $10 off mail-in rebate from Aqueon for this filter. 12 packs of large filter pads are $12.99. Yeah I know ACs have the bigger calling on the forums, I've got two AC30's on other tanks, but they kind of irritate me having to be kick-started at nearly every WC.

This will be supplemental filtration for my 55g. I've got a SunSun 302 and a little powerhead in there too.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I purchased an aqueon 55/75 for 24 dollars on amazon. Its a great filter; holds a lot of media and has a flow rate of 450 GPH. I checked and amazon also has the same deal for the 50 as DF&S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W50KKY/ref=pd_aw_sbs_3?pi=SL500_SS115

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hey good call!

It's a few dollars more through Amazon for me between shipping and sales tax. No tax through DFS for me. I did consider the larger 55/75 model for just a few dollars more, but I don't really need that big a capacity and didn't want to deal with 2x the filter cartridges. I'm hoping the cartridges last a few rinses between total changeouts. I'll probably cut a slit in them to remove the carbon as well...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Well.. I hope when this filter makes it in the mail, it doesn't get delivered to the snowbank near the mailbox like one package I found yesterday!

It's been an old-school Buffalo winter the past few weeks. My area has gotten ~5ft of snow. I've spent more time snowblowing and shoveling the past two weeks, then I have the past 4-5yrs!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't care to ever see it again. We used to get lots more over the course of a winter than we seem to now, so I shouldn't complain.

In regards to the Aqueon HOB thing, I'm kind of intrigued by the design of them. Supposedly they'll fill themselves and start even if the HOB tank is empty. I guess due to the pump/motor being low, in the water on the suction tube.

My two Aquaclear 30's always need to be filled with water after a WC.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
my 55/75 still needs to be primed on occasion but i dont have it set up in the conventional method so maybe that is the reason. I have the whole thing filled to the top with a mixture of sponges, volcanic cinders and filter floss.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool. Yes, I have read some threads on how to make/load your own media for Aqueons.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had the new Aqueon 50 setup and running for a few days on my 55g. The pros and cons:

Pro: I like the filter cartridge fitment. The cartridge slides precisely into a blue plastic bio-grid, then that assembly slides into the HOB. No real paths for water to bypass the cartridge like on some other HOBs.

The unit self-starts so well, I didn't even have the power plug fully seated into the power strip and the filter had entirely filled itself and was pumping like mad.

It moves a LOT of water. The most I've seen out of a single cartridge HOB. Enough that I wish I could cut it back some. (to quiet it)

Cons: It is incredibly LOUD. Both in motor hum/whirr and in water splashing sounds. The outlet does not dip down into the water like on many HOBs, so there is lots of water droplet splashing on my vers-tops and NOISE. I did quiet the motor/impeller by disassembling it and greasing the magnet and both shafts with non-toxic plumber's grease, but it still sounds like I've got a Briggs and Stratton powered water feature running in that room. I'm sure the whole Aqueon HOB line isn't as loud, maybe this model is more prone because of the pump size and flow rates. I dunno.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I think the problem is that the Aqueon 50 was not made to fit the frame of the 55 gallon tank so it is sitting higher than it should. The 50 is basically higher flow rate Model 30 and when fit to a smaller 30-40 gallon frame sits lower so the outlet is below the water line.

You may have been better off with the Model 55/75 which is designed to fit the 55 gallon and larger frames and sits lower so the outlet is underwater.

If you decide to keep the model 50 I would remove the biogrid from the outlet. This will reduce a lot of the water noise and prevent the water from splashing out on to your versa tops.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store