Dry Seals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SherG

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Michigan
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I was wondering how long an aquarium can be stored and still have the seals be ok. I have a tank that hasn't had water in it for about a year and it is sitting in my back room. We heat our home with a outdoor wood furnace so air is very dry and the temp in the house is usually between 72 and 78. I will not be able to set it up til sometime around April. Just wondering if this will make the seals dry out and the tank leak. Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome. Kind of worried about it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not sure how old the tank is, but the silicone they've used for decades should last many years with or without water.

SherG

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Michigan
The tank is about 3-4 years old. I bought it new and only had it setup for about two years or so. Thanks for such a quick response. I honestly didn't even think of the seals drying out until my husband said something and then of course that put me into "worry mode".

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Husbands. That's what we do.:uhoh:

SherG

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Michigan
Well he is pretty good at other things but he particularly shines when it comes to making me crazy! :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You should be okay with that temperature range. I'd be more worried if you were storing it in a garage for an extended period with much higher temps, especially if down south.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store