Setting up a new 90 Gallon freshwater tropical tank, the first tank in several years.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydraloveingman

AC Members
Oct 20, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm going to be setting up the first tank I've attempted since my disastrous run with a 10 gallon when I was 11, which could be effectively summarized as a comedy of errors interrupted by sporadic Chinese fire drills (Most of which is, unfortunately, documented in full incoherent walls-of-text on this very website). Tank is 90 gallons, fairly standard rectangular shape, never used after my purchase except as a brief sanctuary for a newt that was found wandering around in the snow several years ago, and completely unfurnished and undecorated.

I haven't tested the local water yet, and mostly forgot my tables anyway, but it's very clean well water with a high mineral content, so some kind of water softener will be a must.

Questions:

I'm planning on this being a planted tank, and I'm interested in using topsoil substrate. Any advice on decent, hardy plants for the 75-80 F temp range that would do well in a fairly heavily planted tank? Also looking for good light fixtures, as the room doesn't have any natural sunlight.

Are there any species of bamboo that do well mostly submerged?

I'm planning on stocking my tank to start with Neon Tetras, a pleco or two, and three or four freshwater fiddler crabs. Maybe some bamboo shrimp. What are some other good "beginner tier" community fish and invertebrates? I've read that having some blackworms and large snails is good for a topsoil substrate tank. Any specific types to recommend?

For the crabs and shrimp, is Aquarium salt or Marine Salt preferable? I've read that Marine Salt is better for invertebrates, but the "extra nutrients" bit sounds like it could fiddle with water quality a bit. How sensitive are most tropical fish to the contents of marine salt?

I read about something called a Moonlight, that provides soft lighting for the viewing of nocturnal fish. I don't plan on getting any for some time, but the concept is interesting. Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm most likely going to be covering three sides of the tank and the bottom with slate rock for a more natural look. I'm considering having the slate on the three sides roughened a bit so that Java Moss or other small clinging plants can attach more easily to the sides of the tank and the crabs can scuttle about on the side if they get bored of the driftwood. Is this going to go terribly wrong in some way?

Speaking of driftwood, what's a good supplier? I would normally find some in the woods around my house (Middle of absolute nowhere, about as much chance of random pesticides as there is of mind-controlling alien parasites), but this time of year I'd have to chip it out of the frozen ground and ice with a hammer and chisel. In particular, I'm looking for decorative driftwood that would be good for a pleco supplement and some roots that could be used to create hiding places near the bottom or a route to the surface.

Airstones: Do they actually do anything? I'm going to get a couple regardless purely for looks and fish entertainment, but I'd like to know if they have any kind of effect on oxygen levels.

Small critters: I like having breeding populations of small aquatic insects/snails around, mostly because they were some of the few things I didn't manage to kill during my previous stint. What are some harmless creatures that could maintain a population with fish snacking on them?

Last of all, recently in Wal mart I noticed a horribly inadequate display tank with a handful of fiddler crabs slowly asphyxiating within. Is it worth it to try and rescue however many are still alive/in stock when my tank finishes cycling, or am I just asking for seven biblical plagues to descend upon my newly stocked tank?

Thanks.

Last edited:

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Sounds like you have alot going on... Off the top of my head, aren't fiddler crabs known to snack on other critters in their tank? If they are fully freshwater, I wouldn't add salt to the tank. And if they aren't fully freshwater, I wouldn't add the crabs to the tank (unless of course you want to go brackish...)

Plants: lots of choices: many different Cryptocorynes, Hygrophila, Java Fern, Anubias, mosses, the list goes on.

Fauna: Sounds like you like alot of different critters, but you are really going to have to narrow down what you want in this tank. Crabs or not, fish, small shrimp/big shrimp, big fish/small fish, etc. I personally like trying to get critters from the same/very similar regions of the world; but sometimes even I start mixing and matching (like my awesome tank of Peacock Gudgeons and Corydoras pygmaeus I used to have..).

Airstones: Sure, if you like them use them.

Driftwood: Aquabid, the classifieds here, MGamer's site, local waterways (provided you sterilize the wood/it isn't polluted), your LFS

Small critters for food: You can do it, but generally you need to stock your tank on the lighter end and have LOTS of hiding places to keep any decent sized population of food critters in your tanks.

Water Softener: I wouldn't bother. If it really bothered you, get a RO water system.

hydraloveingman

AC Members
Oct 20, 2008
Sounds like you have alot going on... Off the top of my head, aren't fiddler crabs known to snack on other critters in their tank? If they are fully freshwater, I wouldn't add salt to the tank. And if they aren't fully freshwater, I wouldn't add the crabs to the tank (unless of course you want to go brackish...)
Not from what I've read. So long as the tank isn't too overstocked, they should be fine.

There are actually a lot of fish that like a small amount of salt added to the water, like swordtail fish and mollies. I've read a lot of guides written by fiddler crab owners, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
You Might want to check this site first for your lights needs http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368 you dont need to memorize it but glance over it and see what seems to suit you better.

Most bamboo you can find in LFS but after reading numerous threads it will die off or rot after a while that bamboo isnt used to being fully submerged.

For plants I would suggest backing off a little on them until studying there are tons of variable things that are needed for some plants while others are easy. I would recommend Medium Lighting No CO2 set up for what it sounds like you are wanting and then use liquid carbon and fertilizers that would be the easiest for you as you learn more on plants. Here is a link to easy and link to med plants that fit what I suggested http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/difficulty/easy.aspx http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/difficulty/medium.aspx

I agree skip the crabs for now 1 they are notorious escape artists and not all crabs are totally aquatic and a lot of LFS sell crabs that shouldnt be in an aquarium. for some good community starter fish look at the first coup0le posts of my Journal I listed several by layer of swimming and added pics of them http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/*************/showthread.php?t=115107&p=1186816#post1186816

driftwood you can get around lakes and rivers locally but most pet stores sell manzanita and couple other really nice woods Here is a search link from amazon for some good sources http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...wood+for+aquariums&sprefix=driftwood,pets,192

firefly12399

AC Members
Mar 27, 2013
Although Swordies and Mollies can LIVE with salt in the water, it's not fully recommended as far as I recall. I've never had an issue with my mollies or swordtails dying because I haven't had salt in the tank (I've heard that it's easier to kill parasites/fungus on the fish if need be).

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Not from what I've read. So long as the tank isn't too overstocked, they should be fine.

There are actually a lot of fish that like a small amount of salt added to the water, like swordtail fish and mollies. I've read a lot of guides written by fiddler crab owners, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
I don't know alot about freshwater fiddler crabs, so if your research leads you to the conclusion that the species you will be getting will work out, go for it! As already stated, make sure you have a tight fitting lid. As for salt, I don't see any reason to add it to your tank unless you are specifically recreating an ecosystem which has a higher salinity (and that doesn't appear to be the case).

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
From my knowledge fidder crabs require some land in order to be able to survive- I had some rainbow fiddlers as a kid that didnt live long.

Are you planning on a slanted gravel setup? Might just be easier to go for a crayfish than a crab, if you really have your heart set on some invertebrates.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
On the note of the fiddler crabs- if you can find a 2nd hand 30 long/40G tank maybe you can rescue them, but honestly they are probably doomed anyway. It sucks that pet shops treat their stock like crap, but introduced dying and/or diseased critters into your tank is a sure fire way to kill off your stock.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Although Swordies and Mollies can LIVE with salt in the water, it's not fully recommended as far as I recall. I've never had an issue with my mollies or swordtails dying because I haven't had salt in the tank (I've heard that it's easier to kill parasites/fungus on the fish if need be).
This is very true. "Freshwater" fish are called that because they have evolved to live in freshwater. There is no benefit to salt on a long-term basis, it will not prevent anything, but it is very harmful to soft water fish and you have mentioned some of these. I can go into the sc ience of what salt does to fish internally if asked, but I will just leave it for the moment by saying don't add salt to any freshwater tank other than as a treatment for some specific issue when that is the best treatment.

On the crabs, I've no personal experience but experienced folks have told me not to mix them with fish.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
This is very true. "Freshwater" fish are called that because they have evolved to live in freshwater. There is no benefit to salt on a long-term basis, it will not prevent anything, but it is very harmful to soft water fish and you have mentioned some of these. I can go into the sc ience of what salt does to fish internally if asked, but I will just leave it for the moment by saying don't add salt to any freshwater tank other than as a treatment for some specific issue when that is the best treatment.

On the crabs, I've no personal experience but experienced folks have told me not to mix them with fish.

Byron.
Ive caught fidler crabs in Cape Cod, MA. They live in little holes that they dig out. They live very close to saltwater but they thrive in brackish water i believe. The only time they come out of the burrows is after the tide goes back out and they will forage the sand for food. They cannot survive long term fully submersed. It would be best to make a seperate setup for them or to rehome them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store