sand for dojos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
i will be getting some dojo loaches soon and want sand for them.i need a sand that is fine enough for them to be comfortable.i also need it to be heavy enough so my filter will not pull it all in when they kick it up.i would appreciate some suggestions please.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've use pool filter sand several times but you'll have to keep the filter intake at least 3 inches above the substrate. You can also use a sponge prefilter to keep sand out of filters.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
pool filter sand comes in different sizes,doesn't it? what grain size would be preferable?i would like to stay away from prefilters, as this tank will also house goldfish. prefilters hinder the effectiveness of the filter as far as picking up detritus.i understand that the dojos help to kick this up into the water column.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
As long as the sand is rinsed well and your filter intakes are a few inches off the bottom, it should be fine. Pool filter sand tends to be the cleanest, I've never heard of it coming in different grain sizes...at least when I've bought it no one asked me what size I wanted. I just asked for 4 bags and they put them in my cart at the hardware store.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
the pool specialty store near me has 4 different sizes ranging from .6mm- 2.0mm. the 2.0 is referred to as #20 grit. maybe i should go with a larger grain one then.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
20 grit is easiest to use because it's heavy enough not to get much up when vacuuming. I also had some "0 grade", very soft but harder to clean

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
thanks for the input.does pfs only come in white? is black diamond blasting sand soft enough for them?i was hoping to get a darker color.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I used black sand in my 20 gallon. I have a 400gph filter on it that isn't an issue. The black sand is almost like finely crushed glass and settles much quicker IMO.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
My PFS came in natural tan color I got mine at Meynards

And where do you get the blasting media at?

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
home improvement stores.you can check menards.you want 1st generation stuff,not the recycled product as it contains metal shavings/pieces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store