In tank filtration system?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
So here's my situation. I have a free 150 gallon I can get, but the only place I can put it, is right against the wall.

The bottom isn't drilled, and the proximity to the wall prevents me from drilling the back, as I can't accommodate the 2-3 inches needed for the plumbing to elbow down.

So, what I was thinking, was to just silicone in a big plexiglass box against the back that would have slots to overflow on one side, and a hole on the other side for the outflow of a pump, and fill the area between the intake and the pump with foam and bio media.

The only con is that it would take up swimming space:(

Any other cons you guys can think of?

**Any other options you can think of for an external or sump filtration, considering my space restriction? **

I wish all tanks had drilled, built in overflows...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Why not just run a canister filter? All you have are hoses running down the back, that don't take up much more room than cords from heaters and lighting.

If the tank is literally mashed right up against a wall, I've never heard of that. That can't be good for the tank or wall with the way things expand/contract, vibrate, etc..

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
I second the motion for a canister you can run the 2 small hoses on the side

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Bottom drill if it isn't tempered glass.....

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I have a similar situation, so instead of the back, I put my filter on the side of the tank. Once you get used to it, you will forget it's there. A canister would indeed be cleaner looking though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I agree with the bottom drill or a couple of large sponge filters

The Hydro Pond 2 & 4 have two very large reticulated sponges that have the capacity of many of the largest canister filters.
See this listing for pond sponge filters that also work great for large aquariums:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Hydropondfilter.html

As for the bottom drill, I have done this with many aquariums in the past, although I generally had the bottom drilled with the bottom glass plate prior to tank construction, just in case it cracked.
Once in, I would add a canister filter, along with a good ball valve, not the cheapie valves that come with 90% of canister filters.
The return would be a pvc pipe on the opposite side of the aquarium that generally rose above the water line to prevent back draining during servicing or in case of a problem.

plumbedcanister.jpg

plumbedcanister.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'd just worry about the integrity of that bottom plate with two holes in it. Hopefully it was over engineered...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store