Moving long distance with fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seedy J

AC Members
Jun 7, 2010
I have 3 tanks (20g and 55g freshwater, 20g saltwater) and I'm moving from FL to CO in a couple weeks. I'll probably have to get rid of the 20g tanks and fish, but I really want to keep the fish in the 55g. None of the LFS seem willing to board my fish and ship them when I get to CO. I've heard of plenty of people moving long distances with fish without problems, but here's the thing: I'm moving out of my house at the end of December, and won't be able to move into my new apartment until January 18. I'll be crashing at a relative's place for about a week, driving up, then living in a hotel for about a week. My new job starts on January 13th, so leaving to arrive on the 18th isn't an option.

Is there anything I can do? Maybe set up the tank at my relative's place, then set up the tank in the hotel room?

Failing that, does anyone in south FL want some nice semi-aggressive community fish?

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
1st it is possible. though before i get into that how attached are you to them? your best bet and personally what is typically best is to find them a home where you are at vs putting them though that kind of stress. are they are something you wouldnt be able to find again? are you positive moving with them is your best bet with all the other stress of moving and starting a new job?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I thought long & hard about moving some of my fish cross country. I had some rare fish that I knew I'd be unlikely to see again & some "pets". Like you, I had a few weeks of homelessness. You could try see if a lfs at your new location would be willing to have your fish shipped to them & held until you're ready. Expensive & difficult on both your fish & you. I'm very glad I decided not to move them. I ended up waiting a few months to set up tanks post-move & it gave me a chance to try keeping different fish with time for planning. Good luck!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a tough one Seedy.

They can live indefinitely in plastic storage totes with established sponge bubblers, but yours sounds like a tough move. Rehoming sounds best.

Seedy J

AC Members
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for the replies. None of them are particularly rare (boesemani rainbowfish, irian red rainbowfish, yo-yo loaches, albino Buenos Aries tetras), but I've had some of them for around 3 years and would hate to see them go to someone who won't take care of them. I remembered that I have a friend who breeds cichlids in central FL... gonna see if he's willing to take care of the fish and ship them once I get all set up in CO. Failing that, I guess I will have to find a new home for them here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store