A way to auto inject liquid ferts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I was wondering if anyone has a way to auto inject liquid ferts? I was thinking of putting a submersible pump into a container filled with the fert of choice plugged up to a timer. The only downside is, I cannot find a timer that turns on and off in a matter of seconds, the lowest I can find is minimum 1 minute on time. Any ideas? Suggestions? Has it already been done? I remember reading about something like this long ago but I never saw the completed project and cannot find the thread.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I haven't used them before, but I have heard of people using automatic dosers for reef tanks for freshwater fertilizers. If I had an aesthetic way to mount one above my tank I would try it..

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I am an engineer that used to design metered dispense systems. I could put a system together, but it would cost a bunch. I know I have seen systems for saltwater set-ups that dispensed chemicals. It wasn't even on a timer. The systems constantly monitored the water and dispensed what was needed. On top of that, some chemicals needed to be refrigerated. It's all about how far you want to go with it.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I just don't really have the option to dose it every day. My tank is off base at my girl friends parents home. I would keep the tank with me, but we are not allowed to have them or any pets, or anything really, in our barracks rooms. So I need a way to take care of the tank without being there all the time. I don't want to put together something in their home that looks like trash.

Question, can I mix ferts? Im assuming no and I will need an individual pump for each fert I will need. Which is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You can mix some but not others. It depends upon what you are dosing. I travel pretty constantly so I use dry ferts and pill containers. Measure everything out and then my wife just dumps it in while I'm gone.

I do the same with the fish food. It works really well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store