28g Bow Front build log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
Low-tech Planted.
It has been a long while since I had my last tank. I used to have a 55g and a 10g, both planted. It was fun to have and admire. For the last few months I was on the search for my next tank. The other day at Petsmart of all places I saw a 28g bowfront on clearance for $125.00. With it came a lighting fixture, glass cover, and stand! I was thrilled, I knew I just had to purchase it. Now begins the journey to setting up a new tank. I will require the patience and knowledge imbedded in the members of this forum. Patience is big because I do have a ton of questions. My goal is to create a tank that is efficient in self maintenance (automatic everything). The reason is, I do not have the luxury of housing the tank in my barracks room with me. The Marine Corps simply just does not allow pets or aquariums in the barracks. So I have to leave this tank out in town at my girlfriends parents home. I do not want my girlfriends mother to have to dose the aquarium with ferts every day. It is too much hassle I feel. Feeding the fish is something I do not mind another individual doing. But even that will be automatic. It'll be interesting trying to figure this out. For now the tank will be low-tech because I cannot yet afford to have it any other way. I do hope this will not limit me in having a good variety of color in this tank. Hope this goes well!

On order is-
AquaClear 50 filter
eheim jager 100 heater
Compact USA LED+ 24-36" 6500k
3x 20lb Eco-Complete Substrate (black)
API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Black 24x24 Vinyl for background (Will cut to fit)
All of this is to arrive by Dec24

For plants I have ordered
Java Fern
Dwarf LOBELIA CARDINALIS
Micranthemum Micranthemoides
Biyxa Japonica
Red Ludwigia SP
Alternanthera reineckii
Red Flame
Hygrophila, 'Kompakt'
Red Cryptocoryne

I really hope I made a good selection, The plants are to arrive by Jan 8th 2014

I still need to figure out exactly what I am using for ferts. Can anyone help me out with that part?

12/21/2103- Today I found some rocks outside and decided I would use them. I soaked them in boiling water. I still need to scrub them but wanted to see how they would look in the tank. How do you all feel about this look? Too much, placed poorly?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Last edited:

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
IMO that placement looks very good. I also lime the grade on the substrate. good work so far.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Those rocks almost play right into iwagami. look it up, but i believe the largest stone should be shifted forward, the second largest stone slightly behind it, the smallest stone in front, and between thos 2, and the 3rd largest stone slightly off to the right maybe an inch or so off of the largest stone. I think those rocks are sharp, and should make for a great looking tank!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice start. Be sure to slope the substrate, shallow in front, deeper in back...it will add some depth to the view.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Looks good so far. Those rocks/stones are awesome. As for plants try to get taller in the back and shorter towards the front. For added depth you could put more substrate in the back and shallow up front. Looks great if done correctly :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:rolleyes:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What works well for the plants you want and your filtration....

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
12/23/2013 I received some things in the mail. My Lighting fixture, 3 bags of eco complete and my freshwater master test kit. I also went to walmart and bought Scotts Premium Soil and a bucket to let it sit in. A day ago I received the black vinyl that I will use as the tanks background.

What I received today

Beginning the cleaning process of the soil

Applying black vinyl to the tank

[URL=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/TrueNoob/media/28g%20bow%20front/photo2_zpscda0e0f9.jpg.html]
[URL=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/TrueNoob/media/28g%20bow%20front/photo1_zpsb0dd5e9a.jpg.html]
[/URL]
[/URL]

12/24/2013 Received more stuff in the mail. Plants came a lot sooner than expected! I put them in small cups with scotts premium soil fert to keep them alive for 3 more days. Hope that works.

Can anyone chime in on whether or not this is a good way to keep the plants alive for 3 days? I am waiting for my order of laterite to mix with the soil that is still in the prep stages.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
everything is coming together very nicely. The plants will be good if that room is above 72 degrees and you mist them with RO water 3 times a day and make sure that the roots are submersed

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store