What is the acceptable tolerance between the plane of the tank and stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
I plan to place a 65 gallon tank (36" L X 18"m W X 25" H) on a 1 1/2" wide square, tubular steel stand. I built a 1" X 2" oak frame to fit between the tank and stand. When I place the tank on the stand with the oak frame in between, there is a thin gradual gap that begins about 5-6" out from one corner, with the outer edge of the corner of the tank being approximately 1/16" (no more) up from the frame, the remaining tank frame sits fairly flat all the way around (no more than 1/32 - 1/64" in gradual gaps elsewhere)Will the 1/16" gap at the corner be an issue? The steel stand is rigid (no flex), but I thought the oak frame may allow for a more gradual transition in the 1/6" to the plane. Any experiences in this matter?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are the air gaps at the corners of the tank, as it sets on the stand? Is this fully loaded?

Corners are definitely critical to support. The whole perimeter really.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Only the corners need to be supported. It's quite normal for gaps to be seen between the bottom and the stand along the lengths. Best recommendation would be to put in a small shim under that corner.

Of course with that small of a gap once you fill the tank with water the weight alone may cause it to crush down to be flush with the stand.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store