Best auto feeder for a small tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I need a good auto feeder for my 28g. It is to house 12 neon tetra, 2 german blue ram and 4 ottos. I read about the eheim ones, but seems as though their small portion is still too much food for a small tank

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I use the Fish Mate F14 feeder. It's nice because there is a compartment for each day. You fill it with the amount of food you want dumped into the tank. There is no chance of overfeeding. The physical design may be an issue for some setups.

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I use the Fish Mate F14 feeder. It's nice because there is a compartment for each day. You fill it with the amount of food you want dumped into the tank. There is no chance of overfeeding. The physical design may be an issue for some setups.
Do you use pellets or flake or both? does it ever jam on you? I've read about it jamming on people

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I use flakes and pellets, no problems. I use it for vacay feeder, not every day. I suppose it may jam if humidity is high if the feeder is very close to the surface or you have a bubbler close to it. There is an airline connection to it to provide positive pressure in the feeder to prevent excess humidity. I do connect it to a pump. Again, zero chance of overfeeding which is what I was looking for. I have 2 of them.

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I use flakes and pellets, no problems. I use it for vacay feeder, not every day. I suppose it may jam if humidity is high if the feeder is very close to the surface or you have a bubbler close to it. There is an airline connection to it to provide positive pressure in the feeder to prevent excess humidity. I do connect it to a pump. Again, zero chance of overfeeding which is what I was looking for. I have 2 of them.
That makes me very comfortable with buying this unit. I will be using it every day though. What exactly do you mean by an air line connection? Am I going to have to buy a separate pump? I want to avoid loud equipment.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Do a search here for f14 and you will see a thread for vacay feeder block. On the 3rd page are pictures showing the airline connection. It optional, you don't have to use it.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Maybe others can recommend a quiet pump because the one I bought which is supposed to be really quiet is really loud!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can still use the Eheim feeder, just use a piece of tape to make the opening smaller. No air pump needed!

I have only used pellets as small as 1mm and have never tried using flake food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store