Fishless cycle question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
I'm testing ammonia every 2 days. It's dropping back to the 1ppm range. No nitrites are showing up yet. Do I keep adding ammonia to keep it in the 3-4 range?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
You didn't give enough information on the tank and set up to know for sure. We would need to know how long the tank has been set up, if any of the substrate, filter media or objects can from an established tank and any other chemicals or additives used. Also, knowing the tap water chemistry is sometimes helpful. If you use old filter media in the filter that will quicken the cycle. I always add some water from an established tank making sure to get as much fecal matter as possible to speed up the cycling process. I have a lot of cray fish, so I have a lot of 4"-6" sections of PVC pipe in established tanks. I usually toss in two pieces per 15gal. This seeds the substrate if new and locating some in the filter stream regardless of filter type spreads the bacteria around. I actually have a 10gal that is used for nothing else but to grow bacteria on PVC.

Merry Christmas.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Tank has been set up for a long time (years), but the filter is new. I didn't save any media from the old filter. No other additives or chemicals have been used, and I do not know the tap water chemistry. I'm trying to make sure I'm following the directions correctly on fish less cycling. Not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You don't even have to keep the ammonia that high as long as you have ammonia being consumed. You would be just as well served letting it drift to .25 and dosing back up to 2 ppm when necessary.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree.

I made the mistake of continually dosing ammonia to keep it at 2-4ppm and nitrites got so high, the API master test kit wouldn't read it. Nitrites indicated a false 0ppm per my test kit. By the time I somewhat figured out what happened, it took ~3 large water changes to bring nitrites down to a level it would read. The cycle picked up right away at that point and began doing the nitrite to nitrate.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Since this is not a new tank just a new filter your not going through a normal fishless cycle. You could have a healthy colony in the substrate that is eating up all of the nitrites.

What is the nitrates doing? Are they increasing?

It's doesn't really take that long to get a filter up on an established tank.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Thanks for the replies. In less than 48 hours I'm back to almost zero on ammonia. But no nitrites are showing. I have test strips as well as a liquid test that I'm running. Both are showing zero nitrites. Is it now a wait and see? How could I find out if I'm getting a false negative nitrite result???

Ehsan270

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2013
This is better than other sites. Always so inteesting to visit your site. What a grat info thank you for sharing this will help me so much in my learning

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
What is your nitrAte reading? I bet it's already cycled. My tanks never show any nitrIte because they convert so fast.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

jbrfish23

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2013
I am going to start a new 6 gallon freshwater aquarium, seems to be several options on how to go about this:
which do you think is the best?

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store