Hello, my hubs and I are getting ready to start an aquariam adventure together :D

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ashleyndavid

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2013
We are purchasing a 75 gallon tank and have been researching what types of aquatic life we want to fill it with. We have decided on a tropical brackish environment, and have found some fish we like, but we aren't sure on how many will fit in in the tank long term, and aren't having as easy a time selecting scavengers that will be intriguing to look at as well as thrive in the tank environment.
Here are the fish we have been researching, as well as the number of each we are thinking about getting:
Dragon fish (1)
Guppies (5)
Swordtail (2)

Some scavengers we have looked at but haven't been able to find much info on are:
Ghost shrimp
Nerite snails
Green hermit crab
Caribbean (Blue legged) hermit crab
Clown loach

Any advice from anyone who has experience with brackish tanks and these types of fish and invertebrates would be very much appreciated. :)

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I love me some brackish. Funny thing is that the stock you decided on while technically being brackish fish none of them require brackish water and will thrive in fresh.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Archer fish are brackish and I don't see why they would interfere with that stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The guppies and swordtails come from hard water, not brackish. If you have soft water they would do better with a little salt added, but that is not their best option. They would do better with out the salt and with normal minerals that make up hard fresh water.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Dragon fish will do best in brackish water, so would mollies and bumblebee gobies. Guppies, swordtails, and clown loaches aren't suited to the salt content, particularly the clown loach. No clue on the crabs, but nerite snails and ghost shrimp should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store