Can't read API, need different

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I just can't read my API ammonia and GH test results well enough. So it's pretty worthless if I can't get something that's even near accurate.

What other tests for ammonia and GH give clear, easy to read results that aren't hard to tell apart?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I get by with the API ammonia kits but use Salifert for some other things, they've always been easier to read, also use Elos and Redsea but I think those are SW only, pretty sure salifert has FW kits.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
The lot numbers ended in "11" so I don't remember if that's when it's supposed to expire or when they were made, in any case, it's probably time to get new reagents. So maybe that was the problem. I don't remember having such a hard time with it in the past and seem to remember the chemicals lasting longer but then, I've never been a frequent water tester so that's not saying much.

On Ken's website, a review also said that some color charts were printed wrong.

So I'm just going to get new test kits and see if anything changes. I have to be able to read ammonia.

Another problem was that nitrate and nitrite were always reading at 0 ppm and that's not right for a cycled tank (one isn't supposed to be 0, can't remember which one) so I have a feeling the reagents just stopped working properly.

Hope new kits fix the issues. This couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm having deaths since it did substrate changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
I don't have anything to add, except that I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's hard for me differentiate between some of the shades. Also, I never know if I should hold the tube of water right up against the paper card or slightly in front of it. It DOES change the shade!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store