Nerita snails chewing up my plants :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
It's a fact. At least in my tank. Nerite snails are chewing up my plants, mainly Echinodoruses. But I also found their bites on Vallisnerias and even on thick leaves of Cryptocorine they leave whitish "scratches" here and there.

At first I wasn't sure, I searched the internet for this phenomenon, but I didn't find anything. People usually say that Nerites will eat the leaves but only those that are old or decaying. Not so. Many of the perfectly healthy leaves have bite holes and I'm 100% positive it's their business, not any kind of nutrient deficiency. I don't have any other fish/creature that could eat the plants. The plant they hang on the most is the same plant that has the most bites (Echinodorus).

I thought well - my tank doesn't have enough of algae they like. Possibly. But I also have a large Anubias Barteri that collected all kinds of "dust", from diatoms to green spot and stagghorn. They avoid this plant at all costs. They are almost never there, even though this plant offers many tasty meals. It's only when I manually pull them off the ground and put them on the leaf, then they eat algae and clean the A. barteri.

Now, what can I do there to prevent them ruining my plants? From time to time, I drop several spirulina tablets in the tank but never caught them eating. They are always hanging on my plants, glass or wood. I also gave them spinach leaves... some snails got interested and chewed it. But many didn't care at all.

So, what is your suggestion? Are my snails lazy, crazy or both?

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
nerites will eat plants,but only when they are starving. mine ignore my anubius also.have you tries sliced and blanched zucchini as a supplement? they prefer to eat biofilm,once this is exhausted it is sometimes hard to get them to eat anything else.

Last edited:

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Thanks Sandy. I haven't tried zucchini, but I've added a lettuce leaf and will check tomorrow if they touched it. The thing is, I never clean my back glass of the tank. It's has a black foil on the outside and I guess it's full of biofilm. However, Nerites rarely touch it. They don't ignore it, but if we assume they are starving, I guess they should consider it more.

My Nerites are still the best algae eaters out there and a real diatom-killers, but I should fix this plant-eating behaviour asap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store