Cycling with fish: species

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Please do not advise me otherwise, as I have done my research and I am not waiting a month with a box of water in my room. I am going to cycle with fish, I just want to know if Ancistrus are hardy enough to start with and if there are any other amazonian/south american fish to cycle with in a 26 gallon tank. Thanks, Cole

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
.........fish-in cycling is cruel. Get some sand, decor, or filter media from someone.

I heavily advise against this, bro.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Alright I guess... waiting sucks. How long min and max to cycle fish-less?

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
My lfs said they could give me some but he also reccomened tetra safestart. Is that any good?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Don't advise you otherwise, yet you asked the forum's opinion and changed your mind by the third post?

Like it's been suggested to you many times in your threads, if you introduce bio media and/or hard decor like a handfull of gravel from a healthy, established tank into your brand-new tank, your cycle will be there for you.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I know I said I wouldnt change my mind, but everybody has their own opinion and I am not sure which way to go. I mostly changed my mind because I wanted to use ancistrus or an amazonian species but like slappy said, it looks like they are not suitable. I am going to pick up filter media, gravel, etc. tomorrow from my lfs to cycle.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
.... I am going to pick up filter media, gravel, etc. tomorrow from my lfs to cycle.
That's the way I'd do it. At the same time, you can add some zebra danios, or other inexpensive fish that you'd like to keep in your tank(s). Set it up with the used goods, some fish and monitor your water parameters. When I've done it this way, I never measured any ammonia or nitrites. Eventually (~2 weeks or so), nitrates started to show. Regardless of the 0,0,0 water params, I still did weekly water changes, and it's important to not overstock during this time.

FWIW, I put a bunch of used media in the canister filter to introduce a cycle for my 55g and on my 20L, I used an established sponge/bubbler filter.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I guess Ill find something at the lfs tomorrow. Would ancistrus work if I had the media? I would really like to use a fish I plan on keeping an I am trying to stick with an amazon biotope.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
fishay, you can make it work, provided you never let ammonia or nitrite build-up in the new tank. You can achieve this by using the used media, only adding a few fish, measuring water parameters daily and doing water changes regardless.

You want to try to keep the used bio media in your new filter, or keep it where water will constantly flow through it. Get a good sized handful of gravel as well. If you don't want that mixing with your new gravel, keep it in a pantyhose or mesh bag of some sort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store