API Test Strips

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MrsGrouper

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2013
Bought their 5-in-1's recently and I would expect brand new unused strips to be white. But no, they already have colors on the strips.. is this normal? I even bought a new box of strips from a different store and same thing. I know.. next time I'll get a much better testing system, but I was in a hurry and am now wondering if I can use these. I sent an email to the company few days ago waiting on a response.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
yep....

[YT]5fdGsM-3iyM[/YT]

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Yes, they have some color on some of the pads before use. The colors get a lot clearer after use. (I actually like these strips for quick testing.)

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
They are garbage..get a proper test kit as you save money in the end and they are more accurate.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
IMO, they're not garbage, and have a place. If the tank is stable and there's no reason to believe that anything is going wrong, they're a quick and easy way to make sure that's really the case. If something is going wrong, then a more precise test kit is called for. Similarly, for a new tank that you're fairly certain is still cycling (fishless I hope) they're a quick and easy way to see if one of the phases of cycling is finishing up - to be confirmed with a more precise kit once that appears to be the case. For the more precise testing I use Salifert test kits.

Used in this way I've found them to be useful and "good enough". One doesn't need a BMW to get the groceries.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Testing drops for ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate are the best in my opinion more accurate but one has to use what they are most comfortable with. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store