Got baby shrimps!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
My first ones. This little guy looks like a ghost shrimp. I do have RCS with eggs also.
No special care for these guys? They'll eat algae and flakes that I put in the tank for everyone?

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
If it's a ghost shrimp it won't live long without brackish water. They require salt when babies. :(

Sent from my SGS4 Active

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Oh well, I don't want more ghosties anyway. More RCSs would be nice.

I've had these for about a month now and find it very interesting how different their behaviors are. Ghosties seem so much more "intelligent" than RCS.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I like ghosts cause they're more like SW shrimp, out and about foraging for food, they'll walk up to a cory and try to take an algae wafer away where as RCS are content to sit on driftwood or a plant and graze on film all day.

Not all ghosts need brackish water and that little guy looks like he's fully developed so he's beyond the larval stage which is when some ghosts require brackish water.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yeah, mine do that too. And they are really good at locating the pellet/wafer soon after it goes in the tank, much faster than the corys and RCSs seem mostly clueless.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I think my shrimp population is about to explode... There are already lots of baby RCS and ghost shrimps now and I've got 2 ghosts and 5 RCSs constantly with eggs. I'm thinking how to control the population.

I don't want a fish that will eat them, so I was thinking of getting 1 bamboo shrimp that my LFS has. It's a filter feeding shrimp. Do you think the BS will eat newly hatched shrimp if it caught it? Would also be a good addition to my shrimp tank!

This tank was a QT, now look what it's evolved into!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
You can send those fry to me :) I'm sure other members would gladly take them off your hands too!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I don't think bamboos will eat the baby shrimp, perhaps look into some small fish that would snack on some young but not big enough to eat any adults. What size tank are they in 12g?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yup, this in my 12 gallon "QT"/shrimp tank.

6.JPG

Here's a baby RCS.
5.JPG

A really small RCS!
3.JPG

Here's my mama ghost
2.JPG

And her tiny baby
1.JPG

And they're so funky looking, I had to get one today!
4.JPG

6.JPG 5.JPG 3.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG 4.JPG

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I like ghosts cause they're more like SW shrimp, out and about foraging for food, they'll walk up to a cory and try to take an algae wafer away where as RCS are content to sit on driftwood or a plant and graze on film all day.

Not all ghosts need brackish water and that little guy looks like he's fully developed so he's beyond the larval stage which is when some ghosts require brackish water.
Now that you mention it, when i had ghosties they would swim up to fish and steal the food if they move fast enough. I never had any babies though... Just berried mommas

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store