Attempting to make over a newly aquired planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blonde.for.life

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Today I was given a 12"x12"x14" fluval tank(cant remember the exact name of it) by my brother who got sick of it and basically just let it go. It was housing 4 neons, 3 cherry shrimp,4 assassin snails and who knows how many MTS along w/ various plants(theres also alot of strange looking algae everywhere). I moved the neons and 2 assassins to a bigger tank and I would like to make it over into a nice shrimp tank with maybe a couple tiny fish but it is currently a hot mess. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what kind of plants are currently in the tank and how to get rid of what i think is duck weed all over the top(if theres a better way than just constantly scooping it out..). I will update this thread as i get things cleaned up and welcome any help or input. Ive had many large tanks but ive never dealt w/ planted tanks so this is all new stuff for me.

fluval.jpg fluval2.jpg

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Ah the mighty duckweed.when you tear down the tank,just rinse the plants and shake off the duck weed.Its really not that big of a deal,sweet little setup your brother had.

blonde.for.life

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
I took the pics shortly after moving the tank so while there are quite a few snails in there i think most of that stuff is duckweed that hadnt floated back to the surface yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store