QT FILTER QUESTION

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hello all happy holidays! It's been a while since I have posted a question but I have one regarding filtration for my 10 gallon QT. I have a 36 gallon tank which has 2 fish in it two bleeding heart tetras who seem to be doing fine. I lost some fish in the past and now I have to restock the tank. I have been putting it off but realize I had to get going with it so I finally set up my QT today. I have a sponge filter that has been in my 36 gallon filter container for a while now so it's filled with biological media to kick off the cycle for the QT. There is also an existing sponge filter specifically for the 36 gallon inside the filter container and is a 200 marineland penquin filtration system. I am planning on doing a fishy cycle with striped danios have to cycle the QT before I can start adding the fish I want to quarantine to the 10 gallon before I add them to the 36 gallon. My question is since I did a wc today on the 36 gallon & I am going to be removing the sponge filter from that tank's filter container and it is going to be used in the 10 QT should I wait atleast 24 hrs before doing so to let the biological flora build up in the 36 gallon since I did a wc today? I realize that I have to add fish slowly once they are quarantined to avoid throwing the 36 gallon into a mini cycle. Is going to take atleast two or three months before I will start adding the fish anyway. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
WC won't affect the amount of BB in the sponge, so you can move to QT immediately. There aren't much BB in the water you remove during a WC.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
The sponge should be ready to go for your quarantine tank. I would feed sparingly for the first week or so to let the bacteria build up.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the 36 sounds like it is lightly stocked. this means the filters are also 'lightly ' stocked with Beneficial Bacteria.
that said the filters are seeded.. but I would recommend lightly stocking the QT to allow time for the bacteria to populate.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I am going to transfer the sponge filter over to the QT tomorrow morning how long should I wait before adding the danios to the QT...and yes the 36 gallon is very lightly stocked I originally had 23 or 24 fish in there but due to age or injury I lost some and am now down to two. I finally got my butt moving to set up the QT to start the recycling process for QT & realize it is going to take me a while. I figured 4 striped danios would be ok?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store