How do I make a 110 Aquaclear filter run quieter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
The 110 Aquaclear that came with a 65 gallon set up I purchased off Craiglist makes a fair amount of noise when it runs. I'm not referring to the waterfall effect into the tank, rather what sounds like the impeller rattling a bit. The owner said he had purchased it new six months ago. I read online that you can swing the motor/pump out from the housing to access the motor/pump and impeller assembly then pull out the assembly to clean, lubricate with vasoline then reinstall. I did that , but there is no appreciable change on the level of sound. The aquarium is set up in our dining room, which our family uses regularly; Any suggestions on how to make it run quieter or what to replace it with?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you may have a bad impeller or the housing is bad... they run off an electric motor (really a mag drive) if the shaft or housing is worn they can rattle.

I have a similar problem with some power heads that I will need to replace soon.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I agree, but first try running it without the lid. Sometimes they rattle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I quieted the pump/motor noise substantially on my new Aqueon 50 by lubricating the impeller magnet and both shaft ends. I'd try that on your Aquaclear. I use non-toxic plumber's grease (it's silicone grease).

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Also those ACs are constructed of very hard plastic which can rattle if it's not seated perfectly. I had to carve out a bit of the plastic where my AC70 filter fit onto the lip of the tank and I inserted a piece of foam in the gap as well.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks everybody,
I fine tuned the filter some based upon your suggestions. It is running somewhat quieter now.
Nice. I actually dont use the lid on any of my ACs due to rattling. They can get a bit noisy due to everything mentioned already and thats one of the 2 issues i have with ACs. Besides that, theyre awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
I realized much of the sound in the filter is coming from the lift tube. I'm unable to get the upper back section of the lift tube to completely fill with water, hence there is a gurgling sound as the water churns and falls passed it. Any suggestions on how to remedy that issue?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store