Cichlid tank cloudy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hey everyone. So I have a feeling I know what's going on, but my grandmother's tank is really cloudy. She is like late 60's so no, not senial haha. She has had the tank for a couple months and it is still pretty cloudy. She kinda rushed it, she and my mom, getting it set up, and I think it hadn't cycled well enough before adding her 8 cichlids. It's a 36 bow and she was only running a quietflow 30 hob, recently added a quietflow 55/75. I just put it in on christmas. Currently the 30 is running only foam, and the 55/75 has the carbon cartridges. I even tried taking my filter from my long established 75g and squishing it in the water when I first added the sponge to try and speed up the cycle. I think that's what's going on anyway. Any thoughts? If you need more info just let me know!!!

Thanks!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is possible...what kind and how many cichlids...there are many species of them out there. Have you run tests using a good liquid test kit?

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
It is possible...what kind and how many cichlids...there are many species of them out there. Have you run tests using a good liquid test kit?
Bob, as of right now I have not tested it with the liquid, she has tested it with the strips, but I know the liquid is better. As for the type, she has I believe 8 in total. She has 2 electric blues, 2 electric yellow, 2 acei, and then 2 orange colored ones, not sure exact species. Mind you on all of this, I would have done it differently, but it's how grandma wanted it, so now I just have to clean up the mess. Also, I'm sorry if my post was confusing, I was in a bit of a rush.

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Just do large water changes n get some kents clear water solution. N start on a routine weekly water change once maybe twice a week. Should clear up n balance out n a wk or so. Also add a piece of sponge n the 55/75 no need for full carbon. U need more beneficial bacteria than anything. Also sk about how much she is feeding? Skip a couple of days after fist water change to give it a clear slate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store