DIY Gravity-Fed Water Topperoffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Tired of sucking on hoses to start a siphon? I sure am!

Too cheap to buy a self-starting siphon or special water mover? Yep, me too!

Prefer to trickle water in rather than pour it in disrupting fish, plants, and substrate? You guessed it... same here!

Well now you can let gravity do that sucky work for you with my (not at all) patented Gravity-Fed Water Topperoffer...

What you need:
1) Plastic Bucket (mine is 5 gal, but it doesn't really matter)
1) Sharpie Type Marker
1) Threaded Hose Spigot (Plastic or Resin, not metal)
2) Garden Hose O-Rings
1) Electrical Conduit Nut (or just one that fits the spigot on the straight end)
1) 3/4" paddle bit or regular wood bit
1) Drill
2) Hands

Photo Dec 30, 6 40 27 PM.jpg
To get your spigot as close to the bottom as possible, put one end of the sharpie in the inlet of the spigot to target your mark. If both the outlet and bottom of the bucket are resting on the same level, flat surface, you will make the mark in just the right spot. (I forgot to take this photo, so I used 90 degree PVC elbow to show the basic idea.)

Photo Dec 30, 5 11 57 PM.jpg
Drill your 3/4" hole centered on the mark you just made. Clear away the plastic confetti you just made.

Photo Dec 30, 5 13 02 PM.jpg
Put one of the hose O-rings on the inlet end of the spigot. Don't worry if it doesn't sit perfectly flat. Screw the spigot into the hole you just drilled until it is snug and facing the right direction. (Down if you had any doubts)

Photo Dec 30, 5 57 16 PM.jpg
Inside the bucket, put your other O-ring on the inlet and screw on your nut of choice. Get it tight enough that the O-rings outside and inside look pretty flat. You can always adjust tension if it leaks. (Conduit nuts are a perfect fit and are easy to screw on tightly.)

Photo Dec 30, 5 57 59 PM.jpg
Hey look... It's a Gravity-Fed Water Topperoffer! No more hose sucking for you, my friend!

As a bonus, if you do need to attach a hose to get water into a hard to access place, just attach a drinking water hose (also called a potable water hose), and you're in business! I hope you enjoyed my silly, but useful tutorial, and if you have questions or comments this is the time and the place!

Total cost: $8.05

Photo Dec 30, 5 11 57 PM.jpg Photo Dec 30, 5 13 02 PM.jpg Photo Dec 30, 5 57 16 PM.jpg Photo Dec 30, 5 57 59 PM.jpg Photo Dec 30, 6 40 27 PM.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thank you and thank you! I can take no royalties for use of gravity. Just tell your fish of my legendary contribution when I'm gone lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store