Driftwood question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twillis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2013
Hey guys,
So this weekend I was in the blue ridge mountains in North Georgia and I found some really nice driftwood. I found it in a stream at the top of the mountain we were staying on, a little less that 50 yards from where the water came out of the mountain.

My question is how long should I soak this wood before putting it into a tank? I know to clean and boil the wood, taking off all the moss (though I wish it could stay on). But being from such a fresh water source is their any need to let it sit any longer than just cleaning and getting it to sink? I have been collecting good driftwood for reptile cages for a few years now, so I know this is good wood. It is all dead and non has any remnants of soft rotting wood on the outside. Alls of it was also at least partially submerged in the stream so I do not think it will take long to sink.

I know this question has no right answer to this but I was wondering what you guys would do in this situation. Also most of this wood will be going into a strictly planted tank I am doing. Any of the wood that will go with fish I will go the longer route just to make sure. Thanks.driftwood.png

driftwood.png

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
If the wood you collected is a hardwood,I dont think you would have any issues.If its a soft wood,I think I would keep it out of the aquarium and let your lizards enjoy it.

twillis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2013
The wood is a little to old for me to identify. The surrounding trees were 95% oak and it seems like hardwood so thats my guess.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Its up to you really in the end.If you feel cool with it try it...if it causes you issues..remove it and blame the cat...

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
just noticed that there are 113,663 members here..maybe......just maybe someone else could offer their thoughts on this?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive collected my own driftwood a few times and i just clean it with a hard bristled brush, remove any bark and growths then let it boil for 15-30minutes. Boiling it will not only remove tannis but also any hitchhikers that might come along with it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the biggest concern , really, is what the wood may have been exposed to.
that said.. if you have a container large enough ..cover the wood with water and let it soak...I soak wood for weeks even months..

as mentioned boiling helps to reduce problem hitch-hikers as well as removing some tannins.

I use cypress in many of my tanks(softwood) and also probably wood I collect from local streams and rivers(usually pine).. I also use malaysian bogwood as well as mopani.

RevClyburn

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2005
I say go for it. Why not try a piece in a different tank, see what the effects it has on the tank/fish/plants. If minimal, add more, if it has a negative effect, it would be easier to correct. Another choice is to send it to me and let me try it, of course I will pay for the shipping. I'm about to set up a new tank and could use the driftwood. I was going to go on a scavenger hunt for some drift wood at one of the local reservoirs. It would be my pleasure to use what you have.

Just a thought

RevClyburn

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Well the wood has already been soaking in the stream so I'd just scrub off the crud, boil it a few minutes and then let it sit in a bucketful water for a night or two.
If there is not discoloration in the water I'd put it in the tank. For that matter, if it stains the water a little brown I would still go ahead and use it, assuming I have a softwater setup.
Tannins may just encourage your fish to breed if the water is soft enough.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Well the wood has already been soaking in the stream so I'd just scrub off the crud, boil it a few minutes and then let it sit in a bucketful water for a night or two.
If there is not discoloration in the water I'd put it in the tank. For that matter, if it stains the water a little brown I would still go ahead and use it, assuming I have a softwater setup.
Tannins may just encourage your fish to breed if the water is soft enough.
To add to this, driftwood can actually lower the PH and leach tannis now making soft and tinted :) im actually looking to find/buy some driftwood for that reason( softwater&tint)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store