Water change question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
I have finished cycling my tank and stocked it over 2 days, finishing Tuesday. I have a 35 gal hex tank with 2 sunset honey gouramis, 5 harlequin rasboras, and 3 peppered corydoras. I plan to do weekly water changes/gravel vacuuming. Since it is a newly stocked tank, would I change the water on Tuesday next week or would it depend on water parameters at that time? All the fish are still alive and appear to be doing well; I don't want to mess anything up!

Also, as for stocking, do I have room for anything more?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels.
if the tank is fully cycled you may see a mini spike/cycle.

typically, cory's do better in schools. (6)

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd go ahead and do the water change by Tuesday even if water parameters look fine. It's a good idea to do that first weekly water change regardless. It can also help keep the nitrates from creeping up on you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, I'd monitor water params every day or so until you're sure the tank generates nothing but nitrates and regardless if nitrates are still low, keep on a weekly water change schedule anyway. Sounds like a nice light bio-load. If these gouramis stay small, maybe you can add an angel as a center piece fish. They're nice in tall, small footprint hex tanks IMO.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
I thought about an Angel, FreshyFresh, but those Rasboras are so small, I think an Angel would eat them. I'm pretty sure the Rasboras don't get much bigger. The Gourami's should not grow to be over 2 inches. I do love an Angel fish, though.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would not risk an angelfish in this tank. I have seen many angels easily eat small fish like rasbora and tetra, but in reverse the small fish can pick on angels especially when one is alone. Angels are after all shoaling fish, living in small groups (five or more, maybe four, but never two or three).

I too would increase the corys to 5 or 6, the same species if you like them, or you can add other species. The more corys the better, for them, and probably you as well, as they are very social. I would also increase the rasbora; I am assuming this is the common Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), and this as well as the two very similar-looking species in this genus are better with higher numbers. I would aim for 8-9, up to 12 in your situation.

And yes, there is sufficient space for other fish if they are carefully choosen, bearing in mind the sedate nature of what you now have. An active swimmer like any danio or barb would disrupt the tank.

Byron.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Thanks, Byron. I think I will increase the Corys by 3 for sure. And since my last post, I lost a harlequin rasbora so I will add more of them as well. It's been a nice combination; they seem active and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store