New 29g Filter question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rukiddinme

AC Members
Jan 2, 2014
I just picked up a 29g at petco. 29 bucks I couldn't stop myself. So I'm debating which filter to get. I was toying with the Fluval C3 HOB but now leaning towards getting he Filstar XPM canister. If I did decide to go the canister route, would the xps be ok ? It's rated to 45g and has 250 gph. The xpm is rated to 75g and has 300 gph. Remember I said this is a 29g so i'm afraid of over kill but the price diff is $20.00 which isn't a deal buster in the long run.

Any thoughts on a preferred filter for a new 29g? This will be your typical fresh water aquarium so i'm open to stocking thoughts as well. Thank you.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Hard to over filter unless you're doing beta's or other species that the output would bother. I always aim for double capacity so on a 29g I would use something rated for 60g minimum. I'm currently running AC110's on both my 29g and 40g 500gph. Not familiar with the FLuval if it requires special cartridges or not my final decision would be which has the easiest cheapest media replacement. Also canister would be recommended for high tech planted.

rukiddinme

AC Members
Jan 2, 2014
Filter for 29g

Hard to over filter unless you're doing beta's or other species that the output would bother. I always aim for double capacity so on a 29g I would use something rated for 60g minimum. I'm currently running AC110's on both my 29g and 40g 500gph. Not familiar with the FLuval if it requires special cartridges or not my final decision would be which has the easiest cheapest media replacement. Also canister would be recommended for high tech planted.
Thanks Squid! I settled on getting the Filstar XPM even though both drs foster and petmountain reps advise me on getting the xps. Even tho i'm not doing a planted tank, I'm hoping the xtra filtration will better serve in the long-term. As a side note, Petmountain had it for 92 and drs foster has it for 100. I'm finding petmoutain to be the cheapest online source for me in NJ.

As a side note I went to aqaquaria and developed a stock list of sorts:

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a good choice for a 29g. A canister of this size doesn't have much of a flow rate once you get it all setup, but the media area is massive, so they filter very well and can go months between cleanings.

FWIW, I've got a Sunsun 302 canister on my 55. It's more suitable for a 29g, but I also run an Aqueon 50 HOB and a powerhead with a sponge in this tank. It's nice to have redundancy in the event you have one fail.

Nice choice on the 29g. I love that size. Good footprint room and lots of height.

rukiddinme

AC Members
Jan 2, 2014
yeah I think I got the levels worked out well but I'm concerned about algae esp because of no live plants in this one. Do you think the snails and pleco can manage the algae? or maybe drop in a couple of ottos as well?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of lighting do you have on this 29? Do you plan on live plants?

An imbalance of lighting and carbon source causes excessive algae.

A regular lighted hood used for ~8hrs/day should be fine.

rukiddinme

AC Members
Jan 2, 2014

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I like those LED hoods a lot. I had one on my 10g tank, which was a Marineland kit. They light up the tank nicely and are a great hinged hood for tank access. Only problem was I couldn't get plants to grow with it. I wound up pulling it, throwing it on a shelf and replacing it with a glass versa-top and an Aqueon strip light fitted with CFLs plant bulbs. I did this because I wanted a planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store