Grolux tubes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Hi, wish everybody a happy new year.

I have 4x54W fixture and the lighting is 1W/L. I started with 2 OSRAM 865 (6500K) and 2 SYLVANIA Grolux tubes. I had some hair algae problem with this setup (dunno whether it is from lighting or not). I replaced the Grolux tubes with 865 and added some algae eaters. So all of my tubes are 865 now. I have no algae and my plants are growing (maybe slowly). Everybody say that Grolux tubes are perfect for plants. Do you think should I use them? If yes what would you recommend for the configuration and order?

Thanks.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
What is the K rating on the growlux tubes? And also, are you running pressurized Co2 or using Excel?

Last but not least, whats the size of the tank these lights are on, since depending on tank size, you are basically running in high light territory with your tank...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
My tanks is 125x45x43H. I use pressurized Co2. Grolux tubes are 8500K. What they say is that they emit mostly blue and red colors in the spectrum so that it enhances photosynthesis. My lights are on 10 hours.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Im guessing it could be the higher Kelvin rating that maybe the cause of your algae...

The higher Kelvin rating means the lighting has more ability to penetrate deeper into the tank, and possibly what is causing your problem...

If you can, you could try adding some amano shrimp in there, since i know they do eat hair algae....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Yesterday I got 2 JBL Solar Tropic 4000K tubes. Right now I using 2 of these and 2 Grolux. The JBL tubes are awesome you can clearly see the increase in photosynthesis. I'm planning to buy another one. They are expensive though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store