Clown Loach have variegation in the dorsal fins; Should I be concerned?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
I purchased three 2" Clown Loach 5 - 6 weeks ago. I've kept them in a quarantine tank because I don't know what to make of some variegation (patchy dark and light areas) in their dorsal fins. None of my other Clown Loach in my main tank have this. Have any of you seen this before and should I be concerned? They've been eating and behaving normally.

Little Clowns.jpgLittle Clowns 2.jpgLittle Clowns 3.jpg

Little Clowns.jpg Little Clowns 2.jpg Little Clowns 3.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like the dorsals on a couple are frayed. Were they in with fin nippers at the lfs? Could be from ammonia burns or fin rot... those would probably effect the tail & other fins & I don't see that. How are your parameters? I'd wait to make sure the fins are regrowing well. I think that may be the darker areas, new growth. Other than that they look pretty healthy... & cute! At 2 inches they're still babies...Do you feed more than once a day?

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
The dorsal are well formed and not actually frayed, just that the black portions are uneven the spaces in between are more translucent; not solid as on my other larger clowns. I typically feed them once a day; sometimes twice.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I don't think I would worry about the dark spots. Your clown loaches look like they are healthy and have good color. Maybe the spots will go away as they grow?

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store