Note to Petsmart

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
So today I decided to write a review on petsmart for comet goldfish. So after finishing this I scrolled down the page and found the company feedback. There it asks "would you recommend petsmart to a friend" with the number 0-10 and you pick one. Anyways under that it asks please tell us why.
So I figured id give them my review, and thought id share it. I tried to be as nice as possible while telling them what I thought about some of there care with some of the animals.

I do enjoy your store very much. But I have gone into the store on multiple occasions and saw dead snails in with live fish and I have also seen a dead fish. And by the time we leave there still in there, and it seems they have been dead awhile since some had a film on them. I also don't like how many fish there are in the comet goldfish container and the rosy red minnow container. It makes them stressed and easier to get sick which isn't good. I have also noticed whether it be me or someone else, it seems no one really asks what size tank, temperature, cycling or what other fish there are in the tank that the new fish will go into. The only other problem I've had is the Betta fish cups. A lot of the time there dirty and the fish look half dead or they have fin rot or there sick.
Other than this I do enjoy your store. And have found almost everything I’m looking for in either the stores or the website.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
wow that must be one sucky store. we have 2 here and they are aways cleaning the tanks and the fish look really healthy (dunno abt the betas i dont goto that area) but sounds more like your stores manager and crew dont give a crap

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
For my store it depends. I don't see this all the time but seeing It more then once is enough. Although sometimes there clean sometimes there not, guess it depends on whos working there

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
We have a new, "PetS Whatever," and the only live, well sort of live, animals are fish. First, there are always DOA fish in the tanks. The employees don't seemed phased by it, not at all. One told me it was because tropical fish don't live that long!!! Not there they don't. I have observed a lot of goldfish with swim badder issues and thought maybe it was just a bad supplier. I then discovered that the loading dock baydoors are only 40 ft. from the fish and they leave them open for long periods--In Missouri it is really cold this time of year???? The feeder comets and rosy reds are all on death's door step regardless of being fed to something or not. The store has been open about 4 months and the staff asks me questions all the time. Not that they can do anything about what is going on, they think it is cool that I know the answer. I did rescue a male betta and he recovered fully. He is a beauty and they were stunned by the photo of him on my phone.

I hate to say it, but buy your fish and supplies on-line. There are plenty of breeders and vendors out there. The big box stores killed the Mom & Pop's and the net will now kill them. My Belonasox would like that explaination.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
This varies a lot from store to store - depending on how much the local manager and/or employees know about fish keeping. I was in the local PetSmart here yesterday and was rather surprised to see, below a tank of Convict Cichlids, a tank of Convict Cichlid fry. Tiny little buggers all swimming around happily - it was really neat.

Erik333

AC Members
Feb 25, 2012
Philadelphia
I think unfortunately, those bigger chain pet stores won't be so easily defeated by the Internet. The aquarium sections may be eliminated, which wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think they do big business on the dog food/grooming/misc supply side.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
This varies a lot from store to store - depending on how much the local manager and/or employees know about fish keeping. I was in the local PetSmart here yesterday and was rather surprised to see, below a tank of Convict Cichlids, a tank of Convict Cichlid fry. Tiny little buggers all swimming around happily - it was really neat.
I agree. The petsmart near my house has an exellent manager. He even had the whole fish section empty for a week due to the deplorable stock he got. For a whole week the employees were rearranging tanks and doing water changes on empty tanks. He even tried convincing the owner of that petsmart to open up a QT tank in the back but the owner didnt like the idea. The manager himself is in the saltyside of the hobby.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never seen a comet/feeder goldfish tank at a big pet store that wasn't stocked like a giant cloud of orange. My closest Petco has them in a ~100g tank or so, with a sump filter that's also LOADED with dead and dying comets.

For the most part, the staff and management at this stores are kind, accommodating and able to answer questions.

You'll find floaters in my two mom/pop LFSs from time to time too. To us it seems simple to do a quick eye-ball to your tanks and scoop as necessary, but apparently not everyone thinks this way or has the resources to do so.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I've never seen a comet/feeder goldfish tank at a big pet store that wasn't stocked like a giant cloud of orange. My closest Petco has them in a ~100g tank or so, with a sump filter that's also LOADED with dead and dying comets.

For the most part, the staff and management at this stores are kind, accommodating and able to answer questions.

You'll find floaters in my two mom/pop LFSs from time to time too. To us it seems simple to do a quick eye-ball to your tanks and scoop as necessary, but apparently not everyone thinks this way or has the resources to do so.
When I worked at an LFS back in the day, before we opened the doors in the morning, we eye-balled all the tanks and scooped as necessary. It took all of 5 minutes, if that. There weren't many floaters, but the customers don't want to see them

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I hate how my petco has the comets. They have a tank that's away from the main display wall of fish, then that's separated into 3 sections the long way and each section is stuffed with fish, with the width of each section being barely larger then the fish themselves. Plus from what ive seen theres no holes between each section to alow for circulation.
With my petsmart there in the regular size display tank but it really is a cloud of orange but its definitely better then the petco set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store