snail rookie...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shw104

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Hi everyone...

I have a 30 gallon, planted community tank. My son also has a 5 gallon, Betta tank.

I'd like to get a few snails for my large tank, and maybe the smaller one as well? Any recommendations for a rookie?

Also, any suggestions where to purchase them? My local aquarium stores are pretty lacking. Do I need to worry about population explosions or destroying my plans or are their species are more tank friendly?

Thank you
Scott

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Most pet store snails do fine with plants as long as they're fed. Malaysian trumpet snails are also popular. They are small and multiplying, but they are mostly nocturnal, so they don't make the tanks look "infested." I put them in almost every tank I set up. You can order them online for little more than the shipping cost.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Oh, and nerites are my favorite when they aren't laying eggs everywhere

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I like the mystery snails. They control algae and they look awesome when they are all spread out of their shell and adventuring xD

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Just curious..... Do snails ever venture outside of the tank? I hear dead snails reeeeeealy smell......

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Just curious..... Do snails ever venture outside of the tank? I hear dead snails reeeeeealy smell......
Apple snails leave the water to lay eggs, and lots of snails leave or sit at the water line if the water parameters aren't what they're in the mood for. Most of the time they stay put

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Good. I was thinking of going live plants... but was worried about the hitchhikers......

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
You cannot even imagine the smell. Worst then an out-house in the summer.
I will second this. I had a huge mystery snail die and I wanted to keep his shell for a keepsake, never again will I remove a snail from his shell...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store