A few pictures...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice pics!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Thanks. Aquarium pictures are hard! Seems like using flash tended to wash out colors (not to mention the glare in a lot of shots), while shots without the flash were often blurry. Had to take a bunch to get these. Are there any guides on here that walk through how to get good aquarium photos? Anybody with experience want to chime in?

The puppies were easy. Just have to get them before they charge and start licking and let the extreme cuteness do the rest.

Sent from my HTC6435LRA using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Your fish shots are great - those are the best looking blank neons I've seen in a long time - great colors!! Any full tank shots??

the Puppies look great too BTW!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
The tank at large is not much to look at. Too many large plants and it needs a good cleaning/scaping. Nonetheless, here you go.

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very nice fish pics! I've heard (but never done any good pics) that if you shoot a slight angle there is less glare & better color (there's a reason I never post pics, lol).

Those puppies are extremely cute! What breed are they? A heartfelt sigh....adorable!

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Thanks. Aquarium pictures are hard! Seems like using flash tended to wash out colors (not to mention the glare in a lot of shots), while shots without the flash were often blurry. Had to take a bunch to get these. Are there any guides on here that walk through how to get good aquarium photos? Anybody with experience want to chime in?

The puppies were easy. Just have to get them before they charge and start licking and let the extreme cuteness do the rest.

Are you using a DSLR? If so, the best way to get pics without using a flash is to make sure you have a lens that can take low aperture pictures, i personally use a Macro with 2.8F/L lens for that and then turn the shutter speed up while leaving the aperture at 2.8...

The other way to do it, is to use an over-head flash placed above the tank... that will help give you a nice dark background when taking pics and you can have a lower aperture, and higher shutter speeds while not losing color etc...

So really, it just depends on what equipment you have available to you, and a lot of patience and practice... another good trick is to not chase fish around the tank for the shot, but instead wait for them to come into view, and then quickly snap the shot...

Last but not least, try and make sure there is little to no ambient light around the tank, so that only the tank itself is lit up, this way you'll also have a lot less glare, and get far better color and pics...

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

Your photos are awesome!

But since you asked... here are a couple tips. Some of which I'm sure you know, but I'll just copy/paste the thing

Tips on aquarium photo shooting!

A: wipe the glass inside and out. It's frustrating to get that perfect shot... with a nice water mark right by the fish

B: pull your lights forward if possible. Pictures don't represent fish colors very well. Pulling it forward will let more light hit the sides of the fish, reflecting more color toward the lens. No flash needed

C: sit in front of the tank for a while and play a game on your phone. Lots of fish go nuts (or shy) when people approach the tank. This might allow them to settle down.*

D: increase shutter speed if possible to eliminate blurry fast fish*

F: Take rapid pics if possible

G: if you're using a high quality camera, skip feeding for a day or 2, and use extra filter floss and carbon in the filters. Fancy cameras can ruin pics by showing tiny impurities

that's it for now, I hope it helps in some way!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store