Here we go again... from the other side of the country

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yeehaw

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2014
Reliance, Tennessee
Howdy everyone! I'm Dennis and am just getting back into that black hole known as fishkeeping. Long ago (omg has it been 11 years?), I had a 125G Oscar tank, a 55G community tank , and a 29G Today's Emergency and/or Convict tank, and sold them in preparation for moving the family across the country. Long dry spell. Even let my domain expire - anybody remember Desertaquaria.com? That was me.
So, perusing CL last week, found a 55G that was fully operational in an insurance office - free - come get it. Had an Angelfish and a Cory, nice base, Tetra HOB 70's, gravel, etc, etc. Cycle was established but the folks trying to take care of it had no idea and lost most of their fish (dumped salt in tank, murdered them), and the Angel & Cory were hurting. Got them home and fixed up, good water from well, stuff's about perfect, not like Arizona water that I had to treat the hell out of. Everybody Happy, water parems about as perfect for a tank that I've ever seen/owned. Ran it for a week for good measure before contemplating additions.
Drum roll please. Cue Ominous Music.
Yesterday, wife and I go visiting LFS's in 50 mile radius, and pick up some equipment stuff for tank here and there. Had decided to add a XLG Angelfish (yes it was pricey) to keep our rather large AF survivor company, school of 12 neons, 5 Corys, and for grins - a pair of Cockatoo Dwarf cichlids. Normal procedure of acclimation, sitting in tank for temp regulation, a couple of cups of tank water added to bags for chemical regulation, net them out into tank and discarding water. I then feed them a little (they did eat) and turn the LED moonlight thingy to settle the tank down. Ok, right? Good and Fine, Right? O noes... I left them alone for a bit to get some dinner myself and come back to check on things. That **** new Angelfish MURDERED my poor, larger, Angelfish and my neons were missing. I have Sid Vicious living in my tank and he came this -><- close to getting shot last night. I figure he ate three neons and killed the other nine running them to death. He's a sneaky *******. Daydreams of hucking Convicts in there to show him whats what... Taking him and 9 neon bodies back to LFS today - owner and I need to discuss a few things.

How are ya'll?

(sidenote: got a line on a 185G, fully set up, for $500... dum dum de dum lol)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Welcome to the forum.

Talk about crappy luck... That just goes to show ya that angels while being graceful and beautiful are proof positive that beauty is only skin deep... I have a theory that Homer's Sirens are really just a metaphor for Angelfish. Lol

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Yeehaw

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2014
Reliance, Tennessee
Thanks!
Wife now hates Angelfish lol -> told her it wasn't personal, just business. Mean little crapper anyway.
Oh, won't be going to that LFS anymore-> he couldn't believe an Angelfish would do that to neons 'that doesn't happen in his tanks', but he also wouldn't take me up on letting Sid Vicious run through his neon tank either. I got a magnetic thermometer and 10 serpae tetras out of the deal.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
welcome aboard.

just a lil, FYI, Angelfish are 'ambush' predators. Neons in nature, are in their 'diet' ;)
.while they may not attack tank inhabitants they are cichlids and for that reason maybe unpredictable.

I have a single Male P.Scalare 'wild caught' that is alone in his tank for a reason...sounds like your angel has a similar disposition. oh and he Looooves tetras... for dinner!!

that said.. I have others that fare well in a community tank setting..good luck and have fun.
tell yourwife. they are fine in most cases and are usually graceful to watch...you just got..uhm..lucky???(not)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store