Painting the Backs of Aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

teenfishguy

AC Members
Jan 2, 2014
Does anyone here paint the backs of their aquariums? I bought some krylon acrylic latex enamel, and I don't know if it will work. What do you use?

uploadfromtaptalk1388945055647.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Lots of people paint the back of the tank with "Krylon" paints. I have not heard any bad things about it.

When I was young, I use to use foil "tape" to the back, Then I started using paper. Finally I taped Black-Plastic Garbage bags to the back.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
If it will stick, it's fine. Acrylic craft paint is non-toxic, cheap, and scrapes right off with a razor blade if you decide to change the decor. I use black sign vinyl, but I own a sign shop, so it's readily available to me.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I use spraypaint (krylon fusion) but i know people who use latex, its easier to remove if you decide to change colors or dont like it. It's also a but easier to damage be gentle when placing any type of equipment on the back.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That can of krylon paint would be fine.

I just used black construction paper held on by scotch tape for a background on my 10g. It's held up for close to a year at this point. I've got dollar store blue cellophane wrapping 'paper' and foil on the back of my 55g.

Tanker, good call on black garbage bags! Never thought of that.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I used Plasti Dip in a rattle can on my 47 bow and the 96¢ black spray paint on my 29g. Both worked well. I like the Plasti Dip because its rubber which makes it scratch proof so I don't have to worry about my HOB filter rubbing it off and it helps deaden the sound of the filter vibrating.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Krylon and several other things will work... Suggestion: Put on a very thin coat (that doesn't completely cover the glass), wait for it to dry, then do another coat, and if necessary a third. If you put it on too thick right from the start, it won't work well.

I now use Acrylic tanks with black acrylic backs. :)

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I used black latex on my last tank. Ask me in a year or two if I am still happy!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I've painted the backs of three of my tanks. I use a high quality exterior latex paint and roll it on with a foam roller. It takes 4-5 coats to completely cover. I've been very pleased.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I use the spray Fauxstone paint on the back and bottom of many of my tanks. I like the look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store