New to SW. Mini reef. General questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vikesfan

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2014
Hello! My gf and I own many different types of animals and have always thought salt water fish would be a cool new hobby to get into. Yesterday we took the plunge and went to the new fish store that opened up in town. We purchased some things and set up our tank last night. The store owner told us to set this up and come back in two weeks to get more critters, such as fish, anemone, coral, starfish or shrimp. He said to bring in water anytime and he would check its levels for us, and he would sell us the proper salt water to add to the tank when it needs changing.

Here is our setup:
-Aqueon Evolve 8 tank that has a pump and LED lights
-Live aragonite reef sand
-Salt water given to us by the store
-8 pounds of living rock
-some food pellets
-small bag of orangeish poop smelling bacteria
-2 snails
-5 hermit crabs

As of last night we added the sand, the water, the living rocks, the snails and crabs, one food pellet and the bacteria liquid. A picture of the setup is attached.

I have a few questions that have come up since reading online:

--Do we need a skimmer or thermometer/heater?
--Any advice for what to add in two weeks? The store owner said we could add a clown fish and maybe one more small fish, an anemone, some soft coral, a starfish and maybe a shrimp.
--I read that hermit crabs like to change shells sometimes before they even grow out of the current ones. Should I add some shells?
--How often should we change the water and how much of it should be replaced at a time? I have seen a pretty large range of recommendations regarding this.

Any general comments or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
Vikesfan

image.jpeg

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I would purchase some RO water for top offs replacing the evaporated water, using tap water is likely to lead to some algae.

I would get a heater something like a little 25w that you could fit in the back compartment would be fine. I'd also suggest something along the lines of the Koralia nano 240 circulation pump. Skimmer on that small of a tank you can get away with out as long as you're doing weekly water changes, water change amount about 2 gallons. I would get a few shells for the hermits as well.

Stocking coral wise the stock light is limiting, maybe enough for stuff like shrooms, ricordia, gsp, not enough for anemone I assume the store guy was thinking bubble tip since he also said a clownfish. Which brings to other livestock I wouldn't do a clown in an 8g they're not big swimmers but its still and awfully small space would be territorial over the whole tank. Lots of gobies would be suitable how ever many are aggressive towards similar fish so I would do some kind of shrimp pairing goby hi fin banded or yasha with a pistol shrimp buddy would be good. For a second fish clown goby, possum wrasse, tanaka wrasse or yellowstripe cardinal. I wouldn't suggest a star for that size tank. Maybe an additional small shrimp like a peppermint, if the lighting was upgraded to something that could sustain an anemone you could do a couple sexy shrimp instead.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I strongly recommend the heater. With only 8 gallons, the temperature swings have the potential to be huge if you're not really good about keeping your house temperature very consistent. Corals/fish are sensitive to these swings so it's definitely something you want to buy before adding them. Generally, you want the temp to be around 79 degrees.

I agree with Squid on the skimmer. You can get away with not having one as long as you're good with water changes. Speaking of which, you might want to look into getting an RODI unit. This way you can prepare you're own water for water changes and top off rather than making a trip to the LFS everytime. Of course, if you don't mind making the trips to the LFS then don't worry about it.

Do you have a basic saltwater test kit (ammonia, ph, nitrites, nitrates)? I think it's good to be able to test yourself just so you have an idea of where you're tank is at and you something to go off of if you encounter a problem.

As Squid mentioned you will need to top off you're tank as water evaporates. I always thought this was obvious and forgive me if it is, but alot of people make the mistake of adding salt water instead of fresh water. This will lead to an increase in salinity.....that reminds me, do you have something to measure the salinity with? A hydrometer will do, a refractomer is even better. You wanna keep the salinity around 1.024 ppm.

A general tip. When you do start adding livestock, just go slow and see how things do.

Welcome to the hobby! That's an awesome piece of rock you got in there btw.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Yeah a lot of people like the red sea or salifert test kits. That one seems to include alkalinity which is interesting...I'm not sure if that's something that's important to monitor for a new tank, usually people only start worrying about that once their tank is stocked with corals. But it probably has some purpose in regards to a new tank that I'm not aware of.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Refractometer will be a lot easier to use just a few drops of water on it verse trying to dip a hydrometer in a tiny tank, and of course hydro's aren't always accurate.

Redsea is pretty decent better then the API kits, it'll be a good start if you find yourself not liking certain tests when they're up you can always try different brands. My test kit drawer is a mix of Salifert, Elos, Redsea, Hanna, API..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store