New to Snail Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Hey guys,
I set up a planted snail tank a couple months ago and would just like to share.

29g
PFS Substrate
Granite Rock Decor
AquaClear 30 (with prefilter, double sponges and biomax)
30" T-8 Zoomed Flora-Sun bulb
Java Fern (Traditional and Windelov varietys)
Anubias Root Clippings (just to see if they'll grow into new plants)
Amazon Sword (just until I set up the 55g brackish tank)
~5 MTS
~60 Ramshorns
Planning on getting some fish when the wife and I go to Reno next week, maybe some GloFish(I hate them, she loves them) and a pair of gouramis or something.

Had a 50w heater in there until about 2 weeks ago when I did a water change and forgot to flip the switch on the surge protector. Heard a bunch of crackling and knew instantly what I did. Lol, oh well. The plants aren't doing well with the tank only being at 68° now but I've got a 100w Jager and a Tetra Whisper 40 air pump on the way from http://www.drsfostersmith.com.

Just added the Ramshorns 2 days ago, got them from Fishguy_1955 on http://www.aquabid.com, and they've already laid 6 or 7 egg clusters!

I've gotta give Fishguy_1955 a shout out because the listing was for 30 snails but he ended up sending me almost double my order and not a single one was DOA.

Don't have any pics on my phone but I'll take some when I get home from work in the morning and post them up in the afternoon sometime.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Very nice. How about a few nerites?

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I was thinking about getting some horned or tracked nerites. Do Apple/Mystery snails reproduce in fresh water?

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I was thinking about getting some horned or tracked nerites. Do Apple/Mystery snails reproduce in fresh water?

Sent from my SGS4 Active
Yup. They lay obvious egg clusters above the waterline, so you can easily choose to keep or remove the eggs

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Yup. They lay obvious egg clusters above the waterline, so you can easily choose to keep or remove the eggs
Or save them in your fridge until you have enough for an omelet...
As said before they can reproduce in fresh. You have the pleasure of playing mother nature and deciding which will live and which wont since they lay eggs above the water.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I'd rather not have to fuss over it. This tank is mainly for breeding the ramshorns for food for puffers. I just want a few larger snails for aesthetic reasons.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
i am lucky enough to have neighbors that have turtles. i give them my medium sized snails every water change. apartment ecosystem...lol

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
i am lucky enough to have neighbors that have turtles. i give them my medium sized snails every water change. apartment ecosystem...lol
That's really cool. Unfortunately I don't know a single person that keeps any fish other than bettas.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store