Fish sitting :D

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i was in the middle of getting my 40B stocked again after an unexplained crash( possible airisol exposure). I had my tank stocked with 10 neons, 2 GBRs, 3 otos, and 1 pearl gourami. I then get a call on friday from my friend with an issue. He just got back from active duty for the marines and his girlfriend left him and his were uncared for about 3 weeks. He keeps discus... He rehomed 4 but kept 2 that he hopes he can get a breeding pair out of. But since hes back on medical discharge( hurt while on duty) he needs physical therapy and he can care for the fish for a few weeks. So i offered to help. Im now caring for his 2 discus. I wasnt fully prepared for discus just yet but so far so good.
Water temp- 83
Ph-7
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates- 20
Waters changes-20% twice/week with gravel vac
Feedings- twice a day
Any other things to do?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are the discus the only inhabitants?
adults can get by with this schedule , i prefer to do larger water changes with mine.
breeders often get set up with water changes with 'aged' water, this helps to keep tank parameters more stable for the breeding pair. tho when I was breeding angels this didn't seem to make much difference.
if he does get a breeding pair make sure the tank is NOT in a high traffic area..

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
are the discus the only inhabitants?
adults can get by with this schedule , i prefer to do larger water changes with mine.
breeders often get set up with water changes with 'aged' water, this helps to keep tank parameters more stable for the breeding pair. tho when I was breeding angels this didn't seem to make much difference.
if he does get a breeding pair make sure the tank is NOT in a high traffic area..
Unfortunately they have to be kept with the other fish i listed. They arent large yet, id say mid sized, but i should only have them for 2 weeks while my friends going through a little physical therapy in his hand. Ill up the water changes to 50% twice a week. They are very shy fish and wont eat if im to close to the tank but i do watch them eat from a distance.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
discus in larger groups act different than a pair or small group.. I have 7 in a 75 that will eagerly run up to the glass when I approach.. but 3 in a 29(growout) that are very skiddish.. they will be moving into a larger tank soon

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
discus in larger groups act different than a pair or small group.. I have 7 in a 75 that will eagerly run up to the glass when I approach.. but 3 in a 29(growout) that are very skiddish.. they will be moving into a larger tank soon
Seeing these fish in my tank ATM makes me want some but i know it wouldnt be fair for them because i cant upgrade to a larger tank( im only 19 still live at home so whatever mom says... Goes) hopefully my friend makes a speedy recovery so he can get them back but i have a feeling this whole physical therapy thing is gonna be way more than two weeks. He lost 2 fingers in a gunfight overseas and lots of nerve damage in that hand. The least i can do is help him out until hes able to care for his fish.
A quick question, i feed bloodworms to my fish once a week but ive heard its not so good for discus as they grow. Is this true? I havent fed them any yet because im worried about that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store