Diatoms...and a Question Regarding the "Beneficial Bacteria/Filter Process"...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Greetings.

To begin with, my first question is in regard to those pesky diatoms -- I fought an outbreak of these in my last 60 gallon goldfish tank from nearly the first day to the last (it eventually cracked and flooded our house, but that's a totally different story for another day) and now it seems they're back again. In my current 60 gallon, which has been up and running for some time now, fully cycled and doing well, I am beginning to see signs of what appears to be brown diatoms on (fake) plant leaves and perhaps some decorations -- but I simply don't know what these are coming from...could it possibly be the exhausted carbon in my Aqueon HOB filter media? Is it the fact that I haven't kept on top of gravel vacuuming as stringently as I should? Right now, I'm doing a weekly 50% water change for the three fancy goldfish I keep in the 60 gallon, with a midweek "freshener" exchange of 15 gallons just for extra cleanliness; however, I haven't been vacuuming the gravel, quite honestly, as well as I should due to the fact that this new tank (a Marineland 60 gallon) is incredibly tall and deep, making getting to the bottom of it a real pain in the *** if you know what I mean (excuse my French, everyone). In our last setup, we believed that the diatoms were being "fed" by whatever crap was in pockets within the gravel (which was handled even MORE poorly in that tank, eventually leading to a bacterial infection that wiped out its inhabitants before the tank cracked) so that's why I am suspecting it MAY be the substrate yet again that's causing these things...

Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing the diatoms on the plants? Is it remotely possible it's my exhausted carbon inside the filter media which is causing an outbreak of phosphates, thus causing the diatoms? The only reason the carbon has been left in the cartridges until it's exhausted is because I have been "reusing" the cartridges, much like the sponge media in an AquaClear, by removing them from the filter and dunking/rinsing them in removed tank water from time to time to sustain bacteria growth while getting rid of raw/loose debris...

My other inquiry has to do with "how it all works" with regard to the beneficial bacteria process and filtration/return flow to the tank -- I understand the bacteria is what's needed to keep the system inside the tank balanced and all that, but I often wondered how the bacteria "reaches" the tank water to keep it stable based on where it is...in other words, our bacteria, in most of our tanks, is residing in bio balls, BioMax pellets, sponges, cartridges, etc. but the water from our filters eventually spills back into the aquarium via an HOB's return flow (unless one is using a canister, of course). How does this bacteria "seed" the tank's "system" to keep it balanced when it's in our filters...does the bacteria, for lack of a better term, "ride" on the return flow from the filter to the tank, thus "populating" the aquarium space with bacteria? I just never understood, scientifically, how this all worked...

Thank you in advance, friends!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Diatom are more reliant on silicates in the tank . without silicates they cannot form their shell. silicates most often become present in newer glass tanks but can also feed from the substrate.
generally once the silicates expire..so do the diatom. as for the bacteria(beneficial) they reside on surfaces in the tank as well as the filter including the bio media. the bacteria feed on the nitrogen(ammonia, nitrite) in the tank water.
the actual nitrifying bacteria can be present in water source as well as carried in the air.
it is just bacteria which is present all around us.

if you are refering to using seeded media.. not all the bacteria is fixed to the media some will move thru water movement.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
As always, thank you Star...

Diatom are more reliant on silicates in the tank . without silicates they cannot form their shell. silicates most often become present in newer glass tanks but can also feed from the substrate.
generally once the silicates expire..so do the diatom.
So what are you saying...the problem definitely lies in my substrate? This has nothing to do with the exhausted carbon giving off phosphates?

as for the bacteria(beneficial) they reside on surfaces in the tank as well as the filter including the bio media. the bacteria feed on the nitrogen(ammonia, nitrite) in the tank water.
the actual nitrifying bacteria can be present in water source as well as carried in the air.
it is just bacteria which is present all around us.

if you are refering to using seeded media.. not all the bacteria is fixed to the media some will move thru water movement.
What I really want to know is how the bacteria process works as water flows from an HOB filter -- in other words, we are taught to keep our biological filtration media on TOP of our media baskets so it's the final stage the water passes through, but why is this exactly? Is it because the bacteria colonies kind of "hitch a ride" downwards into the water column of the tank?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The purpose in keeping the bio-media in the cleanest water flow of the filter is so that the fine debris and dirt won't clog up the pores where the beneficial bacteria live.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
The purpose in keeping the bio-media in the cleanest water flow of the filter is so that the fine debris and dirt won't clog up the pores where the beneficial bacteria live.
Okay, yes, I understand this -- but what I'm trying to ascertain is how/why the bacteria gets from our filter media to the water column...in other words, is THAT how the bacteria populates the majority of the TANK water, by "flowing in" from the bio material in the filter?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Okay, yes, I understand this -- but what I'm trying to ascertain is how/why the bacteria gets from our filter media to the water column...in other words, is THAT how the bacteria populates the majority of the TANK water, by "flowing in" from the bio material in the filter?
The bacteria doesn't need to be floating in the water at all. You can run a UV filter and kill all of the freefloating stuff without hurting your cycle. Each individual bacterium planted on the bio media draws the ammo or nitrite from the water. Reproducing and spreading throughout the tank is just how it distributes itself.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
is THAT how the bacteria populates the majority of the TANK water, by "flowing in" from the bio material in the filter?
Yes, loosely like floating seeds blowing away from a dandelion field

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store