Where are my fellow Southeasterners?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Hey folks! I am looking for people in the Southeast USA that want to talk to and trade with others local to us. It seems like so many people on AC are out West or up North. I have several planted tanks, and I know there have to be others reasonably local to me that keep planted tanks and fish too! I started a group for organizational purposes, and so maybe we can find each other.

Southeastern Swap USA

People like to share knowledge and opinions for sure, but does anybody share physical stuff related to the hobby? I've sent a few plants out for free to other members that were looking for something I had plenty of. It just seems like the right thing to do to share with our fellow hobbyists if you ask me. It's not so much about making money for me since it's a hobby, but maybe I'm in the minority. I hope not! Let me know...

Cheers!
Dave

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I'm in North Georgia and like to grow plants but don't have much at the moment because of destructive fish. I have a native moss that is starting to get going though...

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I'm in North Georgia and like to grow plants but don't have much at the moment because of destructive fish. I have a native moss that is starting to get going though...
Cool, SI! i used to live in North Atlanta. How is the moss doing in tropical temps? Or are you keeping it in cold water?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wish I was a fellow Southeasterner right about now...

I've used my snowblower and shovels more in the past month than I have in the past 6yrs or so!

We're "state of emergency" full-blown blizzard warnings at the moment. Ugh..

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
FF, there is no snow here in FL, but it's freakin cold! Since you probably have some experience, how do you feel about shipping plants and pets in weather like this? Is a heat pack enough to protect them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I actually have two: a fissidens and something else. The something else is not doing well at all after summer's heat without ac. Both seem to have issues above the upper 70s, but this winter the fissidens is looking better than it has for a while.

The tank and room is unregulated so seasonal variation is the rule. Summers the tank can top out in the upper 80s maybe 90 briefly. This morning it was colder than usual for winter in it's current location. It was maybe 38? but usually is in the 40-50 range.

As to the shipping issue, most web sites and people I've interacted with that ship stuff frequently avoid extremes of weather. Heat is harder to mitigate than cold, but to much cold is not good either. Don't quote me but there are a lot more problems with alive arrival outside a 50-80 range. This kind of weather? (current cold wave of near record temps) don't even try it.

Obviously it can be done, since fish stores still get stock, but our small shipments don't get that kind of attention.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
FF, there is no snow here in FL, but it's freakin cold! Since you probably have some experience, how do you feel about shipping plants and pets in weather like this? Is a heat pack enough to protect them?
I have no experience in shipping live goods, but know a lot of online places won't ship or guarantee live shipments to cold winter climates.

I'm sure with today's packaging and shipping technology, it can be done.. but at what cost? Dunno. I'd start by asking a LFS you like dealing with.

I know I regularly toss out buckets full of wisteria and water sprite because I know no-one locally with a planted tank!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Send those plants my way Freshy!! If you're just throwing them out :p
+1 i have a few tanks in need of plants ! As for this thread, i hope some fellow southys take this opportunity and help other enjoy this hobby as much as you do!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, Kyle! It would be a great idea if someone would start a group like I have done with the same purpose in the Northeast, Midwest, etc. There are always people with extra stuff on hand that eventually get trashed when it could be shared around. California peeps have lots of representation in the hobby... I guess it's just not as popular here in the Southeast as it is out West. I'm holding on to hope though :)

Kyle, I made a contact through an Amazon purchase for Red Cherry Shrimp that is nearer to you than me if you need some. I paid for a dozen and he sent me the dozen plus double that in fry!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B0089PZA4O&linkCode=as2&tag=teamdave-20

I want to order some more from him right now, but it's just too cold to risk it as others have said above.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store