Maybe an Oscar or Jack Dempsey..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm thinking about setting up another tank with a single, large fish with some personality. I'd prefer a tank no larger than a 55g, but might consider something like a used 75g if the deal was right. I'd like to stick with a 55g, given I don't use python type water changers due to being on an old septic system. It's 5gal pails tossed outdoors for me.

I've got some experience with oscars given a good buddy of mine kept them. They always cracked me up and acted as if they be perfectly happy to flop out of the tank and into your lap if they could. Problem is, I understand a 55 is the BARE minimum for a single oscar. I'm OK with that.. but just not sure it's best.

Another fish that comes to mind would be a jack dempsey. Another friend had one of those for years in a 20H (ugh..) I wouldn't do more than one and possibly another tank-mate if possible.

Any thoughts, experiences? I'm wide open here!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why would an old septic system stop your use of a Python? You can always drain out the nearest window/door without taxing it at all.....

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I'm thinking about setting up another tank with a single, large fish with some personality. I'd prefer a tank no larger than a 55g, but might consider something like a used 75g if the deal was right. I'd like to stick with a 55g, given I don't use python type water changers due to being on an old septic system. It's 5gal pails tossed outdoors for me.

I've got some experience with oscars given a good buddy of mine kept them. They always cracked me up and acted as if they be perfectly happy to flop out of the tank and into your lap if they could. Problem is, I understand a 55 is the BARE minimum for a single oscar. I'm OK with that.. but just not sure it's best.

Another fish that comes to mind would be a jack dempsey. Another friend had one of those for years in a 20H (ugh..) I wouldn't do more than one and possibly another tank-mate if possible.

Any thoughts, experiences? I'm wide open here!
Im guessing your looking into a wetpet? I love Os but i think even a 55 wouldnt be suitable. A 55 is suitable for a JD or even a pair if you want. I dont your fishkeeping history but these fish are messy eaters, big eaters and, even bigger poopers so good filteration is a must.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Why would an old septic system stop your use of a Python? You can always drain out the nearest window/door without taxing it at all.....
True, but this would take some serious lengths of hose to keep the water away from the house/foundation.

With just the 3 small tanks I have at the moment, the bucket toss isn't too big a deal over messing with and routing hoses.

Im guessing your looking into a wetpet? I love Os but i think even a 55 wouldnt be suitable. A 55 is suitable for a JD or even a pair if you want. I dont your fishkeeping history but these fish are messy eaters, big eaters and, even bigger poopers so good filteration is a must.

LOL.. Never heard the term "wetpet".. mildly disturbing.. Thing is, isn't any fish with the potential of getting 12" a big eater and messy?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a lead on a used 75g, tops and stand for ~$225, then found out my LFS can get me a new 75g for $150. Still not cheap, but I though new 75's were more costly than that.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
True. I guess i bypassed it totally when i said they are big and messy eaters. And a new 75 for $150 isnt a bad deal here in MA. Not many good deals are to be had here. Anyways ill be interested to see what you do with any fish and tank you get. For a 75 you could get away with a lone Jag but that would be pushing it unless you get a female.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Kyle, yeah, I'm pretty certain I'm going with a new 75g from my LFS, then a metal stand and glass top from DFS. Tank, metal stand and glass top(s) would be ~$270 total. I've got my heart set on a single "O" for this 75g.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
sweet freshy! I love oscars i just wish i had the room for one. Please post some pictures when you can. Will you be doing a FO set up?

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks Kyle, yeah, I'm pretty certain I'm going with a new 75g from my LFS, then a metal stand and glass top from DFS. Tank, metal stand and glass top(s) would be ~$270 total. I've got my heart set on a single "O" for this 75g.
Sweet. Any idea how your gonna decorate it? You should look into hardscapeing. Using only stones and driftwood. It would look sweet with an O. I dont know his name but there is a man very well known in this hobby that does hardscapes and he does them amazingly! If i remember his name ill be sure to post it up for you

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
His name is Lee Nutall. His cichlid tanks are stunning!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store